New and with a question....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rada

Reaction score
I play a strat with 3 single coils, and I was wondering which amp would be best for my style....I also plan on getting a tele, ESP and a 335 copy soon, but the strat will be the main guitar.....

I love raunchy SRV stlye blues, also The Black Keys....and lately I've been getting more into playing heavier rock and metal. So my main concern is getting a combo that can handle the heavier stuff, but can also do some cleaner, old school blues....I still want my strat to sound like a strat :)

I'm think I'm leaning towards a ROV, but I'm not sure yet....

your going to have to sort of sacrafice unless you want to shell out huge bucks for a road king. the lonestar will kick *** for raunchy blues, and quacky strat cleans, but falls short of metal. the rov will kick *** for metal and heavy rock, but doenst come close to the lonestar for clean and raunchy blues.

musicbox said:
your going to have to sort of sacrafice unless you want to shell out huge bucks for a road king. the lonestar will kick *** for raunchy blues, and quacky strat cleans, but falls short of metal. the rov will kick *** for metal and heavy rock, but doenst come close to the lonestar for clean and raunchy blues.

You've put me in quite the dilemma! :wink:

If it's any help, its a fairly easy thing to add an overdrive pedal for metal or heavy distortion. The F series amps also have good cleans and a pretty good overdrive, and may also be a consideration, but again, you will need a pedal to get you into a metal tone. The Lonestars are really sweet amps and are probably most at home doing blues and classic rock. The Road King will give you a very wide spectrum of tones, but you would be looking at more cost.

Give some of these a try at the Mesa dealer, including the ROV, and then it may be easier to make up your mind, just keep in mind what kind of music styles you will be playing most. The ROV might be a good fit for the musical direction that you are going, but is not going to be that great for the old school stuff.

I'll agree with Brewski... The F-series sounds like it may be the best bet for you, after the Road King which can do all but is the grand daddy of expensive amps with new ones costing $2500-$2700 and used ones for about $2000.

I'd check out the F-50 or the F-30, or if you have a good overdrive pedal check out the Lonestar Classic.

Thanks for the input everyone....

I've been blessed with a virtue called patience....I certainly don't mind waiting until I have enough money to buy the road king

I think that's the amp I'm really looking for...very versatile....something tells me it's worth the wait....

Thanks again

I've got a few clips, some sloppy but still listenable over on my site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com , go to the road king clips page and check them out sometime...... It's a series 1 combo.

If you're willing to wait for a Road King, there is one other amp out there that you might be interested in, although, I haven't heard one, yet, so I can't tell you how it sounds. You might try to check out the Roadster. It's a new amp. It's sort of in the Road King vein, has 4 channels, although, does not have progressive linkage. It's supposed to be a bit less money than a Road King and has Lonestar cleans. I keep forgetting about that one, because it's so new and they're still hard to come by. Check the Mesa Boogie site for that one. That may just be what you're looking for.

Can't agree with the ROV comment. The pushed mode can easily do SRV type stuff and since you didn;t mention pristine cleans as a requirement...the ROV combo will fit the bill. Plus you can get one used in mint condition for about a $1000.

musicbox said:

The Roadster is going to be about $500 to $700 cheaper than a Road King and do alot of the same stuff.

The ROV can do some good blues tones on the pushed channel and some more raunchy blues on the RAW (series II) channel.... Good catch RAZ

Rada said:
I play a strat with 3 single coils, and I was wondering which amp would be best for my style....I also plan on getting a tele, ESP and a 335 copy soon, but the strat will be the main guitar.....

I love raunchy SRV stlye blues, also The Black Keys....and lately I've been getting more into playing heavier rock and metal. So my main concern is getting a combo that can handle the heavier stuff, but can also do some cleaner, old school blues....I still want my strat to sound like a strat :)

I'm think I'm leaning towards a ROV, but I'm not sure yet....

Mark series amps work great with single coil pickups, great cleans, and have enough gain to cover hard rock / metal tunes.

Hey, its Rada from HC! 8)

I agree you should look at a Mark or F-series before reaching your final decision. I dearly love my Lonestar Special and it sounds fantastic with singlecoils, but like others have said it isn't going to satisfy your more metally urges.

Have fun shopping!

Now, I'm leaning back towards the ROV if it can do the raunchy blues thing plus the harder rock and metal stuff:lol:

And maybe I'll just get that Lonestar down the road as well.... 8)

So is the RK just capable of doing all of these tones? I was looking at one the other day....seems like there's a LOT going on with that thing :shock:

So is the RK just capable of doing all of these tones?

Yeah. The RK can do everything from clean to over the top. Of it's 4 channels, there is progressively more gain as you go from 1 to 4. 2 has more gain than 1, and 4 has more than 3. You also have progressive linkage, which allows you to change your tone and out put by changing power tube combinations with the flip of a switch. So you can run 2x6L6, 2xEL34, 2x6L6+2xEL34, 4x6L6 or 4x6L6+2xEL34 for Power Ratings of 50, 100 & 120 Watts. There are other goodies loaded into it that allow you to tweak tones within each channel. It's a pretty awesome amp.

It weighs 125 lbs. for the combo.

Latest posts

Back