Need some Help Here!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysticTriad

Reaction score
First off Hello all, I am new to the boards.

I went to my local guitar shop yesterday to see if they would be expecting any Roadsters in April. First off, they didnt hear much about the amp, I knew more about it than they did. Anyway, I looked around and I found a brand new Single Rectifier head for $940. My question is: Should I get that or should I just wait and eventually get the roadster for a $1600

Im looking a Petrucci-like tone, but i want it to also be a little versatile, the lack of reverb in the single head is a bit of a drawback, anyone have any experience with this head? Hows the tone, feel, yatta yatta

Sound clips perhaps? haha

Welcome! If you are not going to be playing in a band or something, the single will be plenty good. I wouldn't worry about the lack of reverb because you can always get a pedal or effect. I used to own a triple rectifier and sold it for the single. I really love the single. I feel that it comes very close to the sounds of Petrucci, get his Dimarzio pickup for an even closer sound. I think that the Roadster will be even more expensive than $1600. This is what I would suggest, get a Dual Rectifier. It will probably be $1200 used plus you get a lot of features with it. More than the single rectifier. Remember, you will never get the exact sound of your heros. I've spent thousands of dollars trying to get the exact sounds and I warn you that it's a waste of time and money. Just get in the "range" of their sound. You'll be happy and a lot richer for doing so.

Well yea I know, Im not aiming for his exact sound, I just like how he can pretty much go from ultra heavy to bluesy, to rock pretty easily, and i had heard he uses rectifiers. also, yes i will be playing in a group, but im pretty sure single is ultra loud.

If you can sport this, get a Dual Rectifier AND a Mark IV. Both used of course to save some money. I guarantee you that you will have a WIDE variety of tones. Petrucci uses the Mark IIC(+) for a lot too. The Mark IV is as close as you can get.

And in reagards to tone, how does the Single Rectifier hold up? Nowhere near the IIc+ correct?

MysticTriad said:
And in reagards to tone, how does the Single Rectifier hold up? Nowhere near the IIc+ correct?

Different animals altogether. The rectifier distortion is unique and no Mark I've played can nail it. The same is true in the inverse.

The difference between a Single Rec and a Dual Rec has been discussed a lot on the boards if you do a search. In general the Single Rec will break up faster because of the 50 watts of headroom as opposed to the 100 of the Dual. It also tends to be a brighter amp on the attack.

If you're looking for Petrucci I think you can get close with any of the amps you have listed but he traditionally used a Dual Rec and a Mark up until the Road King.

I would tend to say, between the Singles, Duals, Triples, Roadkings, and Roadsters, your gonna stay pretty close in regards to heavy tones! I believe it's the versatility of cleans to/and blues sounds that the Roadkings and Roadsters are gonna seperate themselves from the others!

jbird said:
I would tend to say, between the Singles, Duals, Triples, Roadkings, and Roadsters, your gonna stay pretty close in regards to heavy tones! I believe it's the versatility of cleans to/and blues sounds that the Roadkings and Roadsters are gonna seperate themselves from the others!

Agreed

Cool Cool, But in terms of clarity of notes. Is the single a good choice, or will it be a bit muddy. Plus, I already have a '65 twin reverb for my cleans, im gonna A/B the two so i just need it for my dirties

Latest posts

Back