Need advice on getting rhythm and lead tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maury

Reaction score
Been playing my LSC for a few years now but lately I've been thinking about breaking old habits. Until now I've been using channel 1 for fender high headroom cleans, barber LTD in front of CH1 for "srv" and "chord clarity stones dirty rhythm", lutherdrive in front of CH1 for gainer stuff with definition (rocky Mt way, life in the fast lane) and using CH2 for the heaviest stuff (Govt mule rhythms, violin-like leads).

I've had 2 weeks between gigs now and way too much time to over-think everything. I do lots of allmans, steely dan, skynyrd, Clapton, stones, etc. Would YOU use my pedals & channels another way?

Maury, I never heard of a Lutherdrive, but now I know. Looked it up! I had no clue that Gearmandude built pedals. I'm not sure how you use the LD pedal. Medium gain? Anywho...I do use pedals on the 2nd ch as well, not sure if you were doing that or not. I couldn't do that before the Reeder mods without it turning to mud. Good pedals help as well. I mainly have Barbers also. I actually run all 3 gain stages from the pedalboard also. I started doing this before Charles Reeder came along and rescued my 2nd ch. I never really became a dedicated 2nd ch riffster. It compress's alot. So I use it on an occassion or so at a low/medium drive. Working my pedal gain stages on it. I play in a 3 piece band, plus singer, so that a dramatic tone change on the guitar creates what I would call a noticable, low end dropouts along with high end spikes and midrange mayhem. So I strive for transitioning through the gain stages as smooth as possible as to not sound as if a completely different guitar rig just showed up in the middle of a song.:lol: Me thinks with your original question, GAS could be lurking in your future.
John

To my ears the luther is in the same vein as the Zen Drive. its a creamy OD with good dynamics. YOu can hear a little of it halfway through this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8NxkJbb6M

I love the singing sustain of CH2 but just started wondering if I should try and get the Keef Richards vibe from CH 2 instead and re-think how I use my pedals.

Ok, I see what that pedal can do. Yeah, I would use that pedal for the singing leads and turn the gain back on ch 2. Giving you a clean ch and an edgy ch both with pedals and 6 degrees of varying dirt. That should cover more cover ground. :lol:

I like the idea of making channel 1 a "hairy" version of CH2, something I can use the strat's bridge humbucker on without it sounding shrill. I'll still use the in-between bridge & mid pickup tone for Fender cleans on CH1 (think 'free ride').

Maury said:
Been playing my LSC for a few years now but lately I've been thinking about breaking old habits. Until now I've been using channel 1 for fender high headroom cleans, barber LTD in front of CH1 for "srv" and "chord clarity stones dirty rhythm", lutherdrive in front of CH1 for gainer stuff with definition (rocky Mt way, life in the fast lane) and using CH2 for the heaviest stuff (Govt mule rhythms, violin-like leads).

I've had 2 weeks between gigs now and way too much time to over-think everything. I do lots of allmans, steely dan, skynyrd, Clapton, stones, etc. Would YOU use my pedals & channels another way?

I don't have a Lone Star (yet :)), but I use my Stiletto in this manner. It totally makes sense to me.

Latest posts

Back