• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Need advice-how do I sell an Amp -I'm not a musician!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Sale

cov321

Reaction score
My husband passed away 20 years ago and I have been storing his Mesa Boogie and his guitars for the kids, hoping they might pick up the bug to play. Well they are now 23 & 25 with no interest so I need to sell! How can I figure out what the model of the amp is? I know it was sounding sweet when he last played it but I cannot find the paperwork. It's cream Tolex with woven fabric front and it's in it's hard case. My best guess is it's a Mark II 1983-84

My husband passed away 20 years ago and I have been storing his Mesa Boogie and his guitars for the kids, hoping they might pick up the bug to play. Well they are now 23 & 25 with no interest so I need to sell! How can I figure out what the model of the amp is? I know it was sounding sweet when he last played it but I cannot find the paperwork. It's cream Tolex with woven fabric front and it's in it's hard case. My best guess is it's a Mark II 1983-84
Post close up pictures front/back with the serial number and someone can help you identify what you have there.

Finding out what you have would be the best start. The last thing you would want is to be taken advantage of. There are some models of amps that have a high value to them. You may be able to get some information from Mesa customer service through email if you can share the serial number, and or pictures of the amp with them.

Getting the amp and guitars appraised from the beginning will help you get the best return on his investment. Even if the amp does not work, it still has considerable value considering the year it was made.

So this is all the info I have on the amp - built 9/13/82, I'm guessing it was worked on 2x because of the other 2 initials.I still am not sure what it is as I can't figure out what the serial number is. The pics I got of the engraved numbers don't seem to match 1983 numbering but Boogie says they weren't that organized on numbering back then. Any help would be appreciated - thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8940.jpeg
    IMG_8940.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8939.jpeg
    IMG_8939.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8853.jpeg
    IMG_8853.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8844.jpeg
    IMG_8844.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8842.jpeg
    IMG_8842.jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8854.jpeg
    IMG_8854.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 0
What you have there is a Mark IIB, HRG model, in the combo configuration with the EVM-12L speaker. Great amps & generally undervalued in the market. Checking the current Reverb Price Guide you're looking at a range of $1300-$1800 depending on condition, with a fair value around $1550.

Pre-Covid this was a $1200 amp. A couple years ago the market got super hot & these may have gone for closer to $2000, however in the last year the market has cooled back off.

Where are you located?

wow that's amazing info - thanks so much. I'm in Connecticut but I'll ship anywhere. it's in an anvil case so I guess that adds a little value and will make it safer ( but heavier) to ship

Attachments

• IMG_8942.jpeg
    IMG_8942.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8945.jpeg
    IMG_8945.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 0
Reverb is the best online way to sell it thought they will take some fees. You can ship it directly in the case however expect to pay a few hundred bucks.

You can also try Craigslist & Facebook Marketplace if you'd prefer to try & sell it locally first.

Looks almost exactly like mine, color & specs. Looks to be in very nice condition also. Yes, with the
road case, expect shipping to be several hundred $$$. Might want to get an estimate from desired
shipper so you can state a realistic S&H fee to the potential buyer beforehand...
Sorry to hear about your husband. Good luck.

You can also try consignment if you’re near a music store that sells non low end/cheap guitars and amps. They will take a cut but you won’t have to deal with shipping.

I’m not sure what the total reverb.com cut is but it’s probably around 10% and you have to take and post a lot of pictures, and write the ad copy. Then you get to deal with people offering less than the going rate, offering trades for stuff you don’t want, and asking questions it seems you may not know the answers to.

So depending on what your time is worth and your tolerance for bozos, dropping it off at a local store and getting some percentage less on the sale than with reverb.com might be worth it to you.

Good points! I would have no idea how to answer questions and I'm only planning on lifting that amp in it's case one more time - to a resale music store would be smart - thanks

Oh my gosh! I would love to have that pretty little thing. Shipping cost always scares me off though. Once you decide on a price PM me if you are anywhere near OK.

Good points! I would have no idea how to answer questions and I'm only planning on lifting that amp in it's case one more time - to a resale music store would be smart - thanks
It’s true, they it’s easier to sell on consignment, but you’ll lose 25% or possibly more. Selling on Reverb is actually pretty easy; they do take 9%, but you can set parameters that you won’t accept offers, so no one will be able to low ball you.

You can price it fairly and wait for a buyer. They’ll come if you price fairly.

Take good photographs.

Before you list shipping, take it your preferred shipper and have them price shipping to the furthest state from your house. Now you know what shipping will cost.

Have them pack it for you (find a place with expletive packing amps and or with guaranteed insurance in case of damage during shipping)

Once you post it, and sell it, it wil ge all ready to ship.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the info! Reverb has been really helpful selling his guitars. I didn't know I could say no negotiation. My only issue is it has not ben played in years - although it was great then, and stored in a temperature controlled environment since.

It might need some De-oxit sprayed in the pots, etc., but it should be fine. I used to have a Mark 1 Mesa Boogie that I eventually sold because it was so heavy, I got tired of carrying it up and down three flights of stairs every time I gigged. But I miss it so much.

Just curious, not sure what you're selling your for, but would you mind calling me and talking privately about purchasing it? I'm not too sure about the rules of online groups are, but I like to just talk to people in person.

In any case, if you have a moment and don't mind: 801 580 3950. My name is Phoenix Vamvakias.

Thank you.

Looks like all I canget for it at a local shop is $1400 and they don't want the case. Shipping to the west coast would be $400-600 so that would equal about $1900 - not sure anyone would want it for that.

Looks like all I canget for it at a local shop is $1400 and they don't want the case. Shipping to the west coast would be $400-600 so that would equal about $1900 - not sure anyone would want it for that.
Yes, generally, things like Anvil cases, etc. don't add much to the deal when selling a used amp. I would be interested in buying it, I would love to have another Boogie. Is there any way you can find a less expensive shipping option; that seems excessive, even post-COVID shipping rates. I would think a couple hundred bucks, but maybe I am off the mark. Also, it would be great to talk in person via DM, or better on the phone, if you don't mind. Again, 801 580 3950. Thanks, Phoenix

Thanks for all the info! Reverb has been really helpful selling his guitars. I didn't know I could say no negotiation. My only issue is it has not ben played in years - although it was great then, and stored in a temperature controlled environment since.
On Reverb, you just don't fill in the section for accepts offers, or something like that. It should be apparent when you're posting. I haven't sold for a long time on Reverb, so I don't remember the details, but the option exists.

Back