Neck-Through Lutheirs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyddan

Reaction score
Anybody know of some manufacturers of neck-through necks? Carvin seems to build them but had very little or no wood options to choose from.

I got a crazy idea for my next project.

Mahogany neck through with brazilian rosewood. Alder "wings" resting on a maple plate bottom and Black Korina veneer on top. Unless it turns out to be a bloody mess I get a light guitar with mahogany rawness and maple sustain with the beauty of Black Korina (and the back is maple).

Throw in a Floyd and get playability as well. Alternatively if I manage to deep recess a Wilkinson (Music Man Petrucci style) I might go with that.

What do you think?

Mahogany is too soft for a neck thru. You will probably find that maple is your only option...unless you are willing to deal with laminates.

Search for Brent Gutierrez. He's a really solid luthier that does some great work.

Try Soulmate Guitars But depending, there might be a long waiting period if there's a many orders before yours. Sometime he'll mentioned on the website he won't be taking any new order for sometime since each neck is individually made. Price is very, very reasonable.

i don't know if you like an old middle vintage sound but a friend of mine use an old '70 asama and it sounds really awesome...

Yes Carvin will make a mahogany neck thru. I own a Dc127t with a mahogany neck and mahogany wings.

oh I didn't know, I guess I got to scan their website again. That Soulmate fellow seems interesting, it's almost too good to be true.

I plan to make the "wings" myself and vaneer it black korina, or maybe make a maple top (you know, sort of scoop the neck through). Just for the looks and slightly added stiffness to the mahogany.

I should probably stay of the glue though as much as possible, Fewer pieces is easier to assemble.

I haven't heard the difference between Brazilian Rosewood and other Rosewood. I got Brazilian on my current guitar and it sounds good so I thought I'd stick with it.

/Edit
And I have no idea how I managed to log in with this account, must've mistyped the password or it was cached from a long long time ago :D

Carvin do make some of their guitar necks out of mahogany but they don't sell mahogany through neck as an accessory. Well that I know of but I suppose you could asks.

The problem with one-piece mahogany necks is the pitch. There's not enough meat there and I seen much too often one-piece Gibson breaking there. No matter what people say about Spanish Luthier joint, I highly recommend one with one-piece mahogany or kornia necks. These necks has short fibers unlike maple.

Fred said:
oh I didn't know, I guess I got to scan their website again. That Soulmate fellow seems interesting, it's almost too good to be true.
I think Soulmate laminates with maple strips with their mahogany necks so they're fairly sturdy at the pitch.
Fred said:
I plan to make the "wings" myself and vaneer it black korina, or maybe make a maple top (you know, sort of scoop the neck through). Just for the looks and slightly added stiffness to the mahogany.

I should probably stay of the glue though as much as possible, Fewer pieces is easier to assemble.
So long you clamp the body / neck with Woodworker's Titebond (use Original, I, II, III tends to creep), the joint is strong as ever.

Fred said:
I haven't heard the difference between Brazilian Rosewood and other Rosewood. I got Brazilian on my current guitar and it sounds good so I thought I'd stick with it.
Earlier Gibson used Brazilian Rosewood same with earlier PRS guitars so that's why many luthiers stay with Brazilian rosewood. But its getting more scarces to obtain. Indian rosewood works as well but if you have your option Brazilian rosewood would be first choice. As far as tone, ... go to TGP

Fred said:
/Edit
And I have no idea how I managed to log in with this account, must've mistyped the password or it was cached from a long long time ago :D
Were you using a public computer (school's, library etc ...)? Maybe an earlier user was a member to this forum and happened to select "save password".

Latest posts

Back