NAD - traded my ED for a Lonestar Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudleydawson

Reaction score
Found someone looking to dump their LSC, and i ended up trading my Electra Dyne straight up for it. There's no question that the ED is a monster amp... but for me - the LS won out in the end. I don't buy amps very often - the goal this time around was to get an amp i could grow old with... i'm thinking i've got it with the LSC. i've played them before... but i've just been floored since i got one for myself...

not the best pics - but you see the important stuff... LSC on a 3/4 back cab (C90), my F-30, my main guitars, picture of my dog, and my new shopvac in the background.

by the way - this one has the mansfield bias mod installed... i'll be posting with oodles of stupid questions come tube-changing time...

cheers!

STP64560.jpg

STP64559.jpg

the 3/4 back cab DOES kick *** with the LS!
...and everything else i've ever played through it... awesome awesome cab.
and this LSC just makes me grin from ear to ear every time i plug in.
i really did enjoy and appreciate the ED for what it was... but i have no regrets whatsoever about the swap!

That's a killer rig you got there and probably sounds better than the standard LSC combo. That double fat Strat is a beauty also. What year is that, 80ish?

"That double fat Strat is a beauty also. What year is that, 80ish?"

Nope... that's a 2004ish! :lol:

It's got a whole custom treatment - sanded the neck down to a 12" radius, put on some extra-jumbo frets, threw in the SD's (alnico pro II/JB), replaced all the pots and added a 5 way switch.
this will me my number one guitar until the day i die! sounds great with the LS!

the black one is a MIM - it was actually my 1st guitar - bought it in 93 i think. same neck/fretboard treatment as the white one. it's the one i experiment with - it's had probably over a dozen different pickup combinations... until recently - it was the exact same setup as the white guitar... (same pickguard/ black pickups - it was a sharp combination). i started jonesin' for single coils - so i put in a set of rio grandes. i like them, but this guitar - although very special to me - cannot hold a candle to the white one.

Wow, thats a change, your ED was a custon too, wasn't it ?

Now that you have had both, How does the Lone star work better for you ? I'm aiming to get a new amp soon and have pretty much narrowed my choice to the ED and LSC. I thought the LSC was going to be it until I plugged in my Les Paul. If I only played Strats it would be a non issue.

My ED was a custom but by accident!

they sent the wrong head (long head vs med) - so they offered me some options... then they sent the empty headshell - i swapped them and sent the long headshell back. awesome customer service!

now that i've had them both - for me - the LSC is the hands-down winner.
something about the LS cleans seems more rich and sparkly to me. and - for what i play - the main difference is how the amps break up... the ED breaks up with some very pleasing grind and grit. i could play for hours in med-lo gain settings... whereas the LS breaks up much smoother and thicker - which is generally more to my tastes.

that being said - i rarely plug in my les paul. (i determined long ago that if you are 6'-4" or over - les pauls just look too dang small in your hands)

also consider that my main amp for years has been the F-30 - which has a very thick OD. i'm used to playing with a thick sounding amp, playing smooth leads in neck/mid positions, and using the bridge pickup and/or OD for adding grit/crunch -
as opposed to playing with a crunch/grind sound, and smoothing it out for lead work. (which is how i interpreted the ED)
i think this - more than anything else - is what makes me more suited to the LSC.

does that make sense?

Thanks for that. I think I get what you are saying. Both amps certianly have a good helping of magic.

Just now having a dream about a Lonedyne amp. Ch1 = LSC and Ch2 = ED with footswitchable gain modes (lo/hi).

Anyway, glad to hear you have got it sorted 8)

got to really turn her up today. only the third or fourth time i really got to push some air since i got it.
I just have to say - WOW. i really don't miss the ED at all. i know people are passionate about their ED's. but in the end - the LS is all i ever wanted and then some. awesome awesome amp.

Back