My Take: Metallica - Cyanide (Mesa Boogie Mark IV)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson5413

Reaction score
I was telling my son how the new album was mixed really poorly and he wasn't quite grasping what I was telling him. So I thought I would show him by recording my version of the tune. In addition, an individual from another music forum sent me the midi drum pattern and asked me to a clip with my Mark IV. It isn't my favorite from the album but I was doing this for demo purposes only.

I spent about 5 minutes learning it and started recording. I only did the first couple of minutes of the tune. Unfortunately, I had to record at super low volumes so I lowered the gain and drive on the amp (6 on each dial) and added a clean boost to the rhythm guitars. The Mark IV has more than enough gain on its own but thought I would hit the signal path with my Maxon OD-9 (no drive and level all the way up).

How do you think it turned out? I may be in the minority but I like my guitar tone better than the original. Personally I think it sounds much better without the boost and cranked a bit but it was the best I could do so late with 4 kids and a wife sleeping. If I get enough interest I will redo the clip tomorrow with a cranked rhythm tone that is all Mark IV.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/79-Cyanide%20%28test%29.mp3

**Edit**

Backing Track
http://gibson5413.googlepages.com/CyanideBT.mp3

Oh boy. Let's not get too carried away people. This album is not "mixed really poorly." It's not even mixed poorly. It's mixed quite well, it just has very slight pitfalls that usually pros don't make. It is still a very sound (pun intended?) and crisp mix.

Anyway, that's another issue.

I checked out your clip, it sounds pretty good, the wah sound is nice too. Your guitars are mixed too quietly though, and I think they are scooped too much, especially if you want to cover this song\tone accurately. Metallica's guitars on this album have a really beefy-twangy sound going on, they pick very hard most of the time. It's also a bit more mid-range voiced than your track. Also I don't think it's as gainy, but maybe you just have your highs dialed up. I know you said it was recorded low, so I'll wait to see if you put up a high volume clip, that will be much more indicative of the tone you're trying to show us.

Pretty good thus far though.

Do a cover of All Nightmare Long or End of the Line then I'll really be interested hehe

sounded pretty good to me....although i have not purchased the new album yet to be able to make comparisons.

mrd said:
Oh boy. Let's not get too carried away people. This album is not "mixed really poorly." It's not even mixed poorly. It's mixed quite well, it just has very slight pitfalls that usually pros don't make. It is still a very sound (pun intended?) and crisp mix.
+1! Like the clip too!

Sounded great! However, I think your Suicide clip is now my fave of yours. Brutal! That sounded so sweet! What tubes are you using if you don't mind me asking and how does the Bogner 2X12 compare to the Mesa 2X12? More specifically, recto 2X12 closed back standard.
Thanks. And thanks for all those awesome clips!

mrd said:

Anyway, that's another issue.

I checked out your clip, it sounds pretty good, the wah sound is nice too. Your guitars are mixed too quietly though, and I think they are scooped too much, especially if you want to cover this song\tone accurately. Metallica's guitars on this album have a really beefy-twangy sound going on, they pick very hard most of the time. It's also a bit more mid-range voiced than your track. Also I don't think it's as gainy, but maybe you just have your highs dialed up. I know you said it was recorded low, so I'll wait to see if you put up a high volume clip, that will be much more indicative of the tone you're trying to show us.

Pretty good thus far though.

Do a cover of All Nightmare Long or End of the Line then I'll really be interested hehe

To each his own. The GH III version sounds better to my ears. I actually like the music just not happy with the clipping and the twangy guitar. I wasn't trying to replicate the tone. I was really looking to sound like, me! In fact, their guitar tone sounds like the Mark IV's Rhy2 with no boost. It's just a bit too loose for my liking. I don't mind that it has less gain.

I'll try working on the other tunes for you.

Elpelotero said:
I agree that the guitars are a little low in the mix

I agree. I have since fixed it but not posted.

masque said:
sounded pretty good to me....although i have not purchased the new album yet to be able to make comparisons.

Thanks!

EleventhHour2139 said:
mrd said:
+1! Like the clip too!

Thanks!

boogietone said:
Sounded great! However, I think your Suicide clip is now my fave of yours. Brutal! That sounded so sweet! What tubes are you using if you don't mind me asking and how does the Bogner 2X12 compare to the Mesa 2X12? More specifically, recto 2X12 closed back standard.
Thanks. And thanks for all those awesome clips!

The Devin Townsend clip is one of my faves as well.

I've got the stock tubes in my Mark IV (6L6). I don't know how the cabs compare but the Bogner sounds massive. Great balance in all frequencies (High, Low and Mid response).

I'll keep posting as long as everyone likes the clips. I always take suggestions. If there is something you would like to hear specifically let me know.

Yeah, love your clips, man. And I agree, I dislike the tone on the album. It does sound clippy, and not a fluid enough gain.

im not critisizing to be negative or offensive, i think it sounds real good. but like stated before, guitars are a little quiet. 2)your sound is a bit more scooped than theirs but like you said, you recorded it quiet so i imagine it sounds real good cranked. imo, if that was your low volume sound that is pretty **** good period.
keep em coming, they sound good.

Yeah, and I think people have forgotten this in this thread, but in his post he mentioned that this was his version of the song - in other words, intentionally a different tone.

Gotta say I like this recording better than the album. The album mix is obnoxiously loud. Every time I play Death Magnetic I have to turn down the volume, unlike other albums.

The sound here is better as well. Kinda reminds me of something between Justice and Black album. Isn't that what Metallica was aiming for in this album?

Very nice clip. I agree that the album is mixed way to loud, too compressesd. The GH3 rips sound much better to by ear, the drums don't sound like they are going to tear my speakers to shreds, the guitars too. I actually like the guitar tones on the album though, just not the mastering. But anyway nice clip, sounds very good.

Latest posts

Back