my new tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtb226

Reaction score
ok, so after having a mild tube dilemma over the past few days, i'm going to do a complete retube.

i bought JJ 6L6 GC's for the power amp. installed them yesterday, and they sound great.

today, after talking with the owner of my local mesa dealer, after i got the "mesa tubes in a mesa amp" spiel, he advised me to go with a mesa spax7 in V1 and groove tubes ecc83's in the rest. so taking all the information from everyone here, and him, that is what i decided to go with. i'll get to install the preamp tubes on thursday, so i can't wait to see what it sounds like. thanks for the help everyone.

Looking forward to your review. I am am about to do the same thing.

jtb226 said:
after talking with the owner of my local mesa dealer... he advised me to go with a mesa spax7 in V1

Of course he'll tell you that. I found the SPAX7 to be to sterile and didn't quite drive the way I'd have liked it to. Just for grins try the GT 12AX7-M in V1, put the SP's in 2 & 3.

Guitarzan, did you comapre the GT 12AX-M with the Tungsol in V1 ? How'd they sound ?

The "M" is a long plate, sound wise it's smooth, no fizz, no grind, just a nice linear overdrive that doesn't go unstable. The TS has a shorter plate, slightly fizzy when pushed and a hair brighter. I favor long plate 12AX7's in the V1 position for heads. I also like the JJ ECC803 as my second choice.

the new tubes definitely did a wonder. really cut down on the noise i was getting (not completely gone though...see my post in the "effects" section). and they sound great. the gain is a lot more even and not as jumpy as it was before. other than that, i guess i just need some time to play with them. getting great sounds out of them so far. really cleaned up my green channel as well.

Latest posts

Back