My New Band Is LOUD and this Mark V...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
ROCKS! :mrgreen:

What a great amp at higher volumes in the mix. I have turned it up with my 3 piece but never had the chance to have the output at noon for hours like this before.

The new band is a 5 piece with a LOUD drummer. And my Mark V absolutely swallows up the other guitarist (what i have been told to do as he is really more of a singer than he is guitarist). :lol:

The output is only usable with the footswitch on right??
Just 1 question, i tried the V the other day, how does the SOLO button work? once you press it produces more gain? more volume?? I didn't get the chance to use the footswitch...

The main output is your master volume control over all 3 channels. The solo control is the one under the master output. it is a preset volume control that is footswich activated. So you can set it louder that your reg. volume, and when you want to solo hit the FS and take off.

and you cant set output at noon and solo at 9 because its below the main volume, you have to have always the solo pot higher than the output

rika_gd said:
and you cant set output at noon and solo at 9 because its below the main volume, you have to have always the solo pot higher than the output

Thats pretty wrong.

in other words, solo pot determines how much EXTRA volume is put out.. relative to the main output
you can either have it closed or have some gain (even if you have it at 9.00)

Yep...

Totally swallows up my whole band if I let it. The nice part with all the volume on
tap, is the ability to back down and then bring back up with the guitar's volume
knob when needed.

The solo knob for me sits roughly at 10 o'clock with the output volume near noon.
I use volume (and tone) control on the guitar a lot, but that extra volume from the
solo button is really nice. I don't notice any gain when the solo is hit, just the
volume jump.

Hörman said:
rika_gd said:

Thats pretty wrong.

Sorry, not wrong.
Page 4 of the Mark V manual:

"The SOLO control may only be used to increase the volume beyond the level of that set by the OUTPUT. You cannot use the SOLO to switch to a level lower than that set by the OUTPUT Control."

Hope this helps :D

I'm asking this because i always heard that The volume nob on boogies also added a bit of gain. I guess i need to try it out once i get mine.
Meanwhile, mine arrived today. But i will only have The money to pick it up by begining of december.
Anyone up for some donations????????

MrMarkIII said:
Hörman said:
rika_gd said:

Thats pretty wrong.

Sorry, not wrong.
Page 4 of the Mark V manual:

"The SOLO control may only be used to increase the volume beyond the level of that set by the OUTPUT. You cannot use the SOLO to switch to a level lower than that set by the OUTPUT Control."

Hope this helps :D
yes, but that doesnt mean you cant set the solo pot physically lower than the output control (lets say, output at 12 and solo at 9).
the solo pot is +VOLUME and if you have it at 8 o clock that means it wont do anything at all.
that means, the solo pot is not an absolute volume level but relative to the output pot value.

RKorn: there isnt actually a knob named "volume" on this particular boogie. :lol: treble increases gain. output knob does it too, if you push it to edge of poweramp breakup of course.

Ploki said:
yes, but that doesnt mean you cant set the solo pot physically lower than the output control (lets say, output at 12 and solo at 9).
the solo pot is +VOLUME and if you have it at 8 o clock that means it wont do anything at all.
that means, the solo pot is not an absolute volume level but relative to the output pot value.

Sure, and you can physically set all the knobs to zero as well, the point being, why do something so obviously counter-productive. The Solo control is designed to give a boost when engaged. It won't give you an "UN-boost", which was the original misinformation being disseminated in this thread, prompting my reply and reference to the manual.
The Solo and Output controls are parallel, as clearly described in the manual.
This means that with the Solo control engaged and active, whichever knob is higher, Solo or Output, will determine how loud you are playing.
Setting the Solo control lower than the Output has NO EFFECT.
Why would you do that?

what the manual is saying is that no matter where you have the solo control set, it is going to be louder when the switch is engaged.
the solo control just determines how much louder the boost is going to be. a 3 o'clock setting will be a lot more boost than a 9 o'clock setting, but either will be louder than without the boost engaged.

screamingdaisy said:
This is the second time in 2 days I've seen one of Hendog's threads pulled off topic and degrade into a really stupid argument...
Says you!!!!

See what I did there? :mrgreen:

I was cranked at practice Tuesday and after we were done my singer/guitarist said he was about to ask me to turn down till I started playing the solo to Pink Floyds "Time" and he didnt want me to after that :mrgreen: I hate being too loud, but I hate even more being asked to turn down :evil:

MrMarkIII said:
Ploki said:

Sure, and you can physically set all the knobs to zero as well, the point being, why do something so obviously counter-productive. The Solo control is designed to give a boost when engaged. It won't give you an "UN-boost", which was the original misinformation being disseminated in this thread, prompting my reply and reference to the manual.
This means that with the Solo control engaged and active, whichever knob is higher, Solo or Output, will determine how loud you are playing.
Why would you do that?
look i have the AMP at home. :)
imagine the pots are from 0-10
you set your output at 5.
you set your solo pot at 2.
when you engage solo, you get 2 solo units extra.
you dont need to put solo knob HIGHER than your output knob in order for it to work.
the only way the solo knob wont do anything is IF you put it down to zero. even if you put it to 0.5 and you have your output maxed out it will do SOMETHING. :)
and by something i mean it will make things louder.
Also, it says in the manual that the solo is wired in SERIES not in parallel :lol:

thunda1216 said:
what the manual is saying is that no matter where you have the solo control set, it is going to be louder when the switch is engaged.
the solo control just determines how much louder the boost is going to be. a 3 o'clock setting will be a lot more boost than a 9 o'clock setting, but either will be louder than without the boost engaged.

YES! Exactly.

screamingdaisy said:
This is the second time in 2 days I've seen one of Hendog's threads pulled off topic and degrade into a really stupid argument...

Hahaha, I know!

I have stopped posting on the Gear Page because everything turns into some stupid argument between a bunch of clueless people.

MrMarkIII said:
Ploki said:

Why would you do that?

I'm sorry, but you obviously do not own a Mark V. If you did you'd know that everything you've said is not true. If you DO have the amp, please, just try putting the output at 12 and the solo at 9, then "engage" the solo button. The volume will increase to the lower yet still louder solo function! If you turn both output AND solo at 12, when you hit the solo you better be wearing ear plugs! :!:
You've misunderstood something you read in the manual. Make sure you know something empirically before you spread it as gospel truth. You may blow someones speakers, or worse, you may damage their hearing, which is the most important sense around these parts... Aside from common, of course.

[Oh, and I love folks that break into a thread only to tell others how off the tracks the thread has gotten! :roll: The next time that impulse seizes you, take a minute to look up the word irony.]

Back