My LSS Problem: UPDATE

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
I have a problem with my LSS which I believe might be tube related. I always keep the wattage set to 30W on both channels. However, last night I decided to drop the wattage to 15W. When I did that my amp stopped producing sound. The same thing happened when I lowered it to 5W. I put it back to 30W and the sound came back. I looked at all the tubes and nothing appears to be wrong. What do you guys think it is?

Someone should reply to this, just to let you know that you are in the radar. Having said that, I don't have a clue. I am a new LSS user myself. You might try dropping the question at a couple of other forums: the gear page, Music electorics Forum, and tdpri.com

It is in all likely hood the rectifier tube. Which is a 5y3 and you may go through one every now and then. They cost about 20 bucks depending. The rectifier tube is only used by the amp in 5 and 15 watt mode. In 30 watts it is not used so that would be why it runs in 30 watts. It is the most common problem with the conditions you mention.

Replace that and then get back to us.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I replaced the rectifier tube and it solved the problem. However, a few days ago the fuse blew! I replaced the fuse and turned the amp on. I let it warm up for a few minutes and inspected all the tubes, which appeared fine. I took the amp off standby and immediately heard crackling and noticed some flashes of light from behind the amp. I put the amp back on standby. I inspected everything again but everything appeared normal. I took the amp off standby and it fired up without any problems. It's been fine ever since. What do you think caused the crackling and flashes?

Penguin said:
Thanks for the advice, guys. I replaced the rectifier tube and it solved the problem. However, a few days ago the fuse blew! I replaced the fuse and turned the amp on. I let it warm up for a few minutes and inspected all the tubes, which appeared fine. I took the amp off standby and immediately heard crackling and noticed some flashes of light from behind the amp. I put the amp back on standby. I inspected everything again but everything appeared normal. I took the amp off standby and it fired up without any problems. It's been fine ever since. What do you think caused the crackling and flashes?

Tough to say, if its fine just keep an eye on it for a while. I have had my amp do some weird stuff in the past and it always gets resolved by flipping the standby switch on and off. It's weird, as far as your fuse blowing, they usually will when the Rec tube blows. The tube goes then the fuse and the amp shuts down. If your fuse wasn't replaced after the rec tube incident it could've just been weak.

I just did the Reeder mod. I plugged the amp in and let it warm up. Within a minute of taking the amp off standby the fuse blew. I replaced it and the new one blew as soon as I turned the amp on. This is the third fuse in four days! I think it's time to take it in for repairs :evil:

Vogelsong said:
Yea, I gotta say thats where I'd be headed.

It has nothing to do with the Reeder mod. The flashes of light are coming the lightening storm in the rectifier tube. It can get quite dramatic, and it you're lucky enough to shut the amp off in time, the fuse won't blow. It's an amp problem, not fuse related. I believe I have the same issue.

Jared Purdy said:
Vogelsong said:
Yea, I gotta say thats where I'd be headed.

It has nothing to do with the Reeder mod. The flashes of light are coming the lightening storm in the rectifier tube. It can get quite dramatic, and it you're lucky enough to shut the amp off in time, the fuse won't blow. It's an amp problem, not fuse related. I believe I have the same issue.

I wasn't suggesting it was the reader mod. Just that it sounds beyond anything simple to diagnose on this board.

I took my amp to get looked at last week. I received a phone call from the store yesterday. The tech told me that my power transformer shorted out. He said he didn't know if that would be covered under the warranty. The tech said he would contact Mesa and then get back to me.

Call Mesa yourself. The LSS is notorious for blowing 5Y3 rectifier tubes and Mesa has a warranty fix, I believe. And they should replace the less-than-sturdy rectifier tube.
You should be able to find more info on this board - use the search function.

Penguin said:
I took my amp to get looked at last week. I received a phone call from the store yesterday. The tech told me that my power transformer shorted out. He said he didn't know if that would be covered under the warranty. The tech said he would contact Mesa and then get back to me.
Have the tech replace the grid resistors while you're at it. I'd bet those little buggers are fried. They're located on the bottom of the power board so you have to take the board out to even see them. This is also another known but not 'advertised' problem. Mesa uses 1/4 or 1/2 W resistor where it should be 2 or 3W, hence the melt down.

Latest posts

Back