my f-50 rig sounds like load and reload tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff hetfield

Reaction score
i get these tones plugging directly in without any effects.

it started to really sound like load/reload when a i added the hellatone 60s, which are, as many of you know, 'broken in' vintage 30s. i was just jamming around with 'devils dance'. to my ears it sounded almost identical. maybe a bit warmer and punchier. (if i want more satanic grunt or saturation i use my TS9.)
but when i use my les paul vintage mahogany with 496r/500t pickups, it sounds identical to load. punchy, tight, but warm and still woody.

btw. i believe they were using dual and triple rectifiers on those albums. i read something about james using a diezel too. kirk actually played rhythm on these albums, and im pretty sure he mainly used his dual rec.

Brewski said:
What cabinet did you put them in or did you put one into your combo?
i dont have a combo. i have the head. i use the hellatone 60s in a 2x12 cabinet made by an ebay dealer called "ss cabs".
they sound incredibly smooth and sweet.

my other 2x12 cabinet has the celestion g12m70s which im not even using right now because they sound like *** compared to the hellatones.

On Load and Reload Kirk used a Dual Rec for some of his leads and solo stuff. It's possible that James and Kirk used some rectos for rhythm tracking, but if they did, it was mixed with the mark2c+.

The Diezel came in during St Anger.

Those are some of their best tones IMO. Sometimes I don't feel the guitar up front as much as their older stuff, but regardless it's good tone.

Brewski said:
Cool! I'll have to see if I can look up the cab.

i just tried to, apparantly he stopped making them unless he changed the name of his business.
ill try and find the specs on the cab. i think they have something like 1/4 inch birchwood. its black tolex and i ordered them with a blonde colored grill for kind of a vintage vibe. definitely nice to look at and well made. the sound is tight and balanced. im very happy with them. it was a great deal too. cant remember the exact price. ill find out. my other guitarist bought one for himself and he's got a better memory than do.

I found that the business name was changed from SS to LOPO. If anyone is in the market for a cab, his site states that his prices are going up on July 1.

Some of those lopo cabs look pretty nice. They are in the desert right? I think I saw their e-bay stuff located in Victorville?

Brewski said:
I found that the business name was changed from SS to LOPO. If anyone is in the market for a cab, his site states that his prices are going up on July 1.
cool! thanks brewski!

I have an Avatar Vintage 212 with Hellatone 60L's, extended low range. Amazing with my F-50. I don't use the F-50's 1x12 anymore. Closed-back goodness with the Avatar :)

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Vintage%20Premier.htm

im replacing the 2 celestions in my other 2x12 cab. im thinking of either getting c-90s or hellatone 60Ls.

i bet either would mix well with my two hellatone 60s.

any opinions either way? hellatone 60Ls vs. C90s??

Lt_Core said:
I have an Avatar Vintage 212 with Hellatone 60L's, extended low range. Amazing with my F-50. I don't use the F-50's 1x12 anymore. Closed-back goodness with the Avatar :)

how is the low end in your tone? does the "L" live up to its name and give a nice low end? its it kinda ...excessively bassy or muddy at all?

Lt_Core said:

if you like thump in your tone...a closed back cabinet... its a must.

cliff hetfield said:
how is the low end in your tone? does the "L" live up to its name and give a nice low end? its it kinda ...excessively bassy or muddy at all?

I haven't compared the 60L to a regular 60 but it's not muddy at all. I think it sounds nice and full, not excessively bassy to my ears. A lot better than the open-back, stock C90. Totally transformed the F-50. Now I'm looking at a Stiletto Ace combo. It never ends ;)

interesting. not sure what speakers i should get.
maybe i can get one C90 and one hella 60L and use one of each in one of my 2x12s.

Yeah man. I remember when I had my F-50, it sounded very mid-heavy, woody, and 'solid'. Much akin to 'upped-mid' sound of Load/ReLoad/Garage Inc. era Metallica.

i have to say, i always loved the load/re-load and garage inc. tones...although im not sure this tone was right for metallica.

but my tone has totally improved in leaps and bounds since aquiring those hellatone 60s.

Latest posts

Back