my blue angel sounds a little flabby...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIDAKDUR

Reaction score
in the bottom end when cranked, any suggestions? It may be the speaker (stock) or tubes or???

thanks

Are you using the 6V6 setting? Because, that is characteristic of 6V6 tubes at high volume. I don't have that problem with the Simul-Link setting. That's the whole point of the Blue Angel's design. Randal Smith recognized the strengths and weaknesses of the 6V6 and EL84 tubes, and put them together in one amp to have them complement each other.

change the 6v6 out for 6l6. dramatically tightens up the bottom end. then you c an switch back for the warm goo of the 6v6 when you're feelin blue.

I'll give the 6L6's a try.

I'm a total gear head so I know about the design theory and all of that. I've tried using the EL84's only, the simul, 6V6's only, with a pedal, without a pedal, etc... all fairly similar bottom end flab-wise

While were talking about 6L6 in the Blue Angel -- any thoughts as to what speaker input we should use with these tubes. The manual suggests 4 ohm even on an 8 ohm cabinet with the 6V6 pair -- stating that headroom as well as tube life is improved.

I'm looking to upgrade the tubes in the next couple weeks and get a new pair of 6V6 as well as 6L6.

regarding tubes and speakers etc. I'm gonna give his 6V6 a try(as part of a whole re-tube I was going to do anyway), if they do not work out I'll try the 6L6.

thanks for the input everyone.

Got the JJ set from eurotubes. Ultra quick shipping, Bob was very helpful. Tubes did make a difference. JJ 6V6 less flabby. I do have to admit however that I have never really liked the Black Shadow speakers that mesa uses... Currently considering a Weber replacement. I've had good luck with several other webers I have purchased (in particular a 10" blue pup that I used in a subway rocket reverb that was a HUGE improvement in texture and sound over the stock speaker).

Back