My amp's fuse blew

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardocasm

Reaction score
Well, I was playing my Heartbreaker on channel one with the gain switch at the high position and all of a sudden it just shut down completely and won't power back on. This is my first tube amp, but I'm assuming this is the fuse. I'm going to replace the power tubes because I've been wanting to and this gives me a good opportunity. This gets to my question. Should I also replace the preamp tubes? Previously I had been getting problems with the sound dropping sporadically on both channels. Should I look into replacing a few preamp tubes along with the power tubes?

Sardocasm said:
Previously I had been getting problems with the sound dropping sporadically on both channels. Should I look into replacing a few preamp tubes along with the power tubes?

From my experience this problem is usually by a poor V1 preamp tube (assuming one half v1 is the first gain stage) or the PI going bad. I'm sure there's a way to check but preamp tubes are cheap and require no bias so I'd get a new set.

As far as fuses blowing it's a common problem related to tubes going since they draw more power hence, adios fuse.

How old are the tubes?

IMO:
if they are all older than 3 years, replace the set.
if they are under a year, I'd just replace the preamp tubes.
anywhere in between your call based on finances.

Personally, I'd just buy a new set if they were older than a year but that's just me and I have enough money to put into it and don't have enough time to worry about it. Seriously, new tubes = about a gig and I don't think they are all that costly.

I'm not sure how old the tubes are because I just bought the amp a month or so ago at it came with the tubes. The seller said he didn't play the amp much so I'm guessing they're far from new. So I'm going to just get a new set. Would I be safe with buying just two preamp tubes?

Sardocasm said:
Would I be safe with buying just two preamp tubes?

Safe yes, problem solved maybe. You need to review your amp's manual and see which preamp tubes travel through both channels and replace all those (and the PI) to most likely solve the problem.

Why I was wondering if it'd be "safe" to only buy two preamp tubes is because the V1 and V2 cover all of the first channel's gain stages, but I heard that often new preamp tubes don't work. I feel like a lamen asking this, but what is the PI? Also, where would be a good place to get a 3 amp slo-blo fuse?

Sardocasm said:
Why I was wondering if it'd be "safe" to only buy two preamp tubes is because the V1 and V2 cover all of the first channel's gain stages, but I heard that often new preamp tubes don't work. I feel like a lamen asking this, but what is the PI? Also, where would be a good place to get a 3 amp slo-blo fuse?

But I thought you were losing power in both channels?

PI = Phase Invertor

I found fuses @ Radio Shack

hey sardo, how does that heartbreaker sound? if you put 6v6's in it gets A LOT quieter. and i hear it sounds better too, try that

Blowing fuses is usually a cause of the power tubes shorting. Though, replacing all pre-amp and power tubes would be recommended for your newly acquired amp!

Yeah, I was getting volume drops on both channels, I don't know why I was going on about getting just two preamp tubes. I've just been going crazy lately. I just bought some Electro-Harmonix 6L6's from thetubestore. I think I'm going to buy EHX 12AX7's from them as well. Thanks for the help, guys.
Oh, and to nomadlover: the Heartbreaker sounds amazing, I can't believe it's one of Mesa's forgotten children.

jbird said:
Blowing fuses is usually a cause of the power tubes shorting. Though, replacing all pre-amp and power tubes would be recommended for your newly acquired amp!

Yep, sorry if my post was misleading earlier.

I'd go for a whole new set you can't go wrong.

Latest posts

Back