Multiple amps / cabs Switch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philosopher

Reaction score
So, I'm using for years one of those true bypass sdpt pedals.
Dirt cheap, works fine, can't complain. But needs caution when switching amp (I use a single guitar cable, to remind me, each time I switch it to the other amp, to switch the pedal too)
But, switching cables is not effective, only one amp switched on at a time, can't A/B easily, works for 2 amps only, can cause damage if not careful, etc
I need an upgrade.

KHE Acs is a popular choice here in Europe.
I also have my eyes on the n-audio 4x4.
Relatively new, but gains popularity. Works nice, has resistive load for all connected amps, seems cool.
It also has a matching unit for effects.

Any other alternative? What do you guys use?
Home/Studio usage, but also live, why not?

Dirt cheap, works fine, can't complain. But needs caution when switching amp (I use a single guitar cable, to remind me, each time I switch it to the other amp, to switch the pedal too)
But, switching cables is not effective, only one amp switched on at a time, can't A/B easily, works for 2 amps only, can cause damage if not careful, etc
I need an upgrade.

Relatively new, but gains popularity. Works nice, has resistive load for all connected amps, seems cool.

I use the ACS 4x4 FX at home, it's expensive but works well. I did run into some MIDI implementation issues but it has been a while so I don't remember specifics, I think it was related to CC messages. If this is important to you I would plan out your application and verify MIDI functionality with them prior to purchasing.

The series attenuator loop insert is nice, I run a wet/dry/wet rig and use a Weber attenuator set to bypass as the line out so that I can have a single input to my post effects when switching amps.

Minor complaint is that I didn't like the way they labeled their rear jacks, bass-ackwards from what you see in other products

I use the ACS 4x4 FX at home, it's expensive but works well. I did run into some MIDI implementation issues but it has been a while so I don't remember specifics, I think it was related to CC messages. If this is important to you I would plan out your application and verify MIDI functionality with them prior to purchasing.
I think they have a windows app for midi programmability.

The series attenuator loop insert is nice, I run a wet/dry/wet rig and use a Weber attenuator set to bypass as the line out so that I can have a single input to my post effects when switching amps.
Yes, the attenuator loop is cool. The ACS, on the other hand, has effects support. You need to buy it separately with the n-audio :/

Minor complaint is that I didn't like the way they labeled their rear jacks, bass-ackwards from what you see in other products

True, but "from amplifier output" and "to amplifier input" is less prone to error I guess.
In any case, minor.

I’m using the Studio 88S and 8FX switchers from Ampete. Foolproof switching also has ability to add your attenuation of choice. I love the remote feature as well.
IMG_0581.jpeg

Thought about getting a Palmer Tino: https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/signal-splitter-switcher/5242/tino-system would tick multiple boxes for me. Easy to use and hard to misuse..

Only two amps but not planning to get more amps anyway. Too much hassle with buying tubes etc for multiple things and storage space is expensive for things to just sit around and rot 🤣

Edit:
Other thing why I dis not get the Tino yet would be I connected my both amps to stereo setup with GT1000. Some reverb and delay and it’s an experience 😁

yeah, the tino is a cheap solution, but restrictive, I need at least 4 amps and, ideally, at least 2 cabs.
And the effects loop is also a must. Why have your effects on one of the amps only?

Space is a different issue, we'll solve it in some other thread :p
Besides, so many things you can throw away, why sacrifice the amps :cool:

I need an upgrade.

I use a DeLisle 12x12 for my home studio. It works great and Jer will make custom versions to fit your needs .

Attachments

• IMG_8672.jpeg
    IMG_8672.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 0
yeah, the tino is a cheap solution, but restrictive, I need at least 4 amps and, ideally, at least 2 cabs.
And the effects loop is also a must. Why have your effects on one of the amps only?

Space is a different issue, we'll solve it in some other thread :p
Besides, so many things you can throw away, why sacrifice the amps :cool:

Both amps are connected with 4 cable method so i can use preamp from either amp (or both - not so usable) to both power amps.

This was just a test if it actually works without normal ground etc issues. And it worked 🤣 no need to have an amp switcher until third amp surfaces..

FWIW I did my own. It's not like it's better then the available market solutions but it actually does work well and has become the heart of my studio. It supports 3 amps but TBH really don't find the need for additional amps even though the thought of doing more was cool initially. It's largest problem was/is... it did not limit my amp purchases to 3 :LOL:

Custom Amp Switcher

Both amps are connected with 4 cable method so i can use preamp from either amp (or both - not so usable) to both power amps.
Curious... so I'm guessing that you used the 2nd S/R block for it and switch the divider to select. Hmmm I've never tried that... yet. Now I've experimented a bit with blending amp models with the tube preamp but can't say it's been anything worthwhile. However I should attempt this again.

Have you tried running just the power amp with an amp model or patch? Wondering if you've found anything really good.

Curious... so I'm guessing that you used the 2nd S/R block for it and switch the divider to select. Hmmm I've never tried that... yet. Now I've experimented a bit with blending amp models with the tube preamp but can't say it's been anything worthwhile. However I should attempt this again.

Have you tried running just the power amp with an amp model or patch? Wondering if you've found anything really good.

Yep. #1 Loop has the Mark V pre and #2 loop has the 2203 pre and these are in gt1000 divider.

Experimented yes with stereo S/R but that’s nothing to write home about.

Last time I tried the internal models the output type (whatever the name was 😁) was recto 4x12 and it was pretty underwhelming. After a while i found the USER 1 which completely disables all output tone shaping and after that the GT was approved as good enough. Haven’t got a motivation to play with the models - the preamps I have currently kinda delivers a plethora of tones/feels

Usually my go-to model for higain in direct to PA situations has been X-Higain and X-Crunch.. good enough for me 😁

Hi everyone,
I'm Niki, the owner of N-audio. I came across this topic and wanted to let you know that if you have any questions about our N-audio amp switchers, feel free to ask! I'll do my best to provide helpful answers and share any insights.

Latest posts

Back