Mullards 12Ax's in Deuce

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les_paul_gold_top

Reaction score
Anybody tried them in their Stiletto yet? I have three or four '60's and a Brimar with little use I'd like to try. I put one in my Blues Junior last week and it sounded a lot meaner! Just wondering if the good characteristics o the tube will come through with this amp....

Tim

I didn't use all Mullards, but have two Mullard ECC83 in V1 and 2 of my T-verb, alone with 2 RFT ECC83, and 2 GE 5751, and it sounds much better to me then the stock Shuguang 12AX7's did in the amp, across all levels of gain.

Just because modern design and production Mesa amps are designed to work with new production Chinese, and European tubes doesn't necessarily mean that they will sound the best to YOU when using them. :eek:

It takes so little time to switch out a 12ax7...so give it a go. The more types of 12ax7 you try, the more attuned your ears will become to their sonic properties. I believe that you will like your Mullards more than the factory issue tubes.

If you find some other posts of TP Parter's you will notice he also has experimented successfully with non-mesa speakers, which I have also done in my experiences.

Mesa gives their customers a great product and is to be admired for their attention to product uniformity/consistency within each model they have produced over the years. This is of great benefit to the plug-n-play guitar players that form the majority of electric guitar/mesa amp owners. However, not all of the 12ax7's they have labeled with their own logo have been Chinese or Russian, I just recently saw some Mesa labeled 12ax7 Siemens of all things on ebay recently...

The standard setups of Mesa's are a great starting point but that doesn't mean that one has to stay there forever... 8)

The Mullards sound great in the Deuce. They removed the icepick in your ears high end that the amp has. I put them in all positions including the FX loop. V1 and V2 is most important.

Funny thing. I put them in my Lonestar Classic and they didnt sound as good as the EH12AX7s. do

BMarchant - you couldn't be more correct. The FIRST thing I noticed was how bright the stock tubes must have been as the treble was almost completely off (in the Channel 1 Crunch Mode). With the Mullards - the treble had to be closer to 12 oclock. Tone was complex and very vintage, especially with the strat. The les paul was extreme complexity, and I found I had to back off the volume as the overtones were overload.....I'm going to try the late 60's Brimar in the V1 next - Mullards will be V2 and V3...very cool...

Latest posts

Back