More distortion from a recto!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oz_mike

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My RK series I arrived last week, and I'm loving it. Just thought I'd share a discovery for anyone who's crazy enough to want more gain from a rectifier/RK.

Engage the loop active switch (so that the loop tube is in the circuit) and crank the send level. Don't use effects in the loop if you're going to do this, as it will turn your effects signal to mush.

The way that this works is by overdriving the effect loop return tube. The master volume and solo controls come after the effects return tube, so these don't affect the amount of distortion you get. That's also the reason why cranking the send will distort the effects return tube.

I've found this adds a good amount of extra gain. Also note that your master volume for each channel will act kind of like a second distortion control when it's set above 12 O'clock.

Personally, I think that this is overkill for the gain channels (2/3 on the recto, 3/4 on the RK), but for the clean channels, it worked a treat. I got a KILLER sound in brit mode with all the channel controls cranked (Gain, B,M,T, Pres, Vol). It's a very different and usable high gain lead sound. Try it!

welcome to the board...you're ahead of the game my friend!

that's a little known trick some people have been using for several years, but many people don't recognize it on their own.

Cool!
Anyone know what type of tube it is, a preamp tube (12AX7)?
So is it acting somehow like an extra gain stage?

It's just an extra 12ax7 preamp tube. Like any other tube, when it is pushed and saturated, it clips into distortion.

Maury said:
Will this trick work on the Lonestar too?

works very nicely on the lonestar. and nice with el34s in her. clean is not as nice, but she's cool. little different. like a redhead. :lol:

Latest posts

Back