MKV Rec Tone opinions Please???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
So after a little bit of time last week I was able to find a Rectifier like tone on my Mesa MKV in channel 2 on the crunch mode. But its not quite there any suggestions on a boost that will get me there I am missing a little bit of gain and distortion. Its just a little too clear not really any volume though suggestions on a boost? I am looking at the suhr koko boost and a few others.

I imagine it would be difficult to reproduce the recto grind. Probably something that gave some midrange boost and saturation might help. Unfortunately, with a Mark you are generally killing off mids.

I might try an OD808 up front with some gain and boost the mids a bit on the GEQ.

+1

That is why a lot of us have a Mark and a recto. For sure I can't get Mark tone out of my recto.

But if you want to get close, maybe a Triple Wreck into the clean channel.

I have a mini rec and and V. I describe the vintage channel on the mini as (kind of) being a cross between the crunch and mark iv channels on the V. They really are their own gain styles those.

Did you buy that Rev F, by the way, Brent? If you did, how do you like it? :)

domct203 said:
SonVolt said:
Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Yea, I have to agree with that, the two amps have totally different characters.

I would think Extreme mode with a boost would get you close.

Have to agree here, on both points. The nature of the distortion is very different.
And the closest I have got to the Recto style sound with a Mark V is indeed with the Extreme mode. The main differences, to my ears, are 1) the Mark V Extreme mode is much drier and much less saturated sounding, 2) it's also much more focused sounding (and tighter, obviously). But it does capture some of that raw aggression and grind that Rectos are famous for.

I really think that with a boost I can get a really decent rectifier sound from channel 2 I just need some more gain once I find that boost I'll let you guys know. To me the real difference lies in the rectifier tracking on channel 2 of the Mark I hardly ever used the silicone diodes on my recs and I think I can match the tone of atleast a vintage esc on the two channel recto. The Pentode and triode settings don't allow the mark V to breath very well on the third channel. Doesn;t give that kind of room filling feel/sound the Recs have channel 2 does thats more what I am hearing the looseness in channel 2 vs the tightness of channel 3. I just need a good boost for this expirement.

Didn't like the Wampler Triple Wreck and the throttle box was ok Mesa's current best pedal is the Tone Burst

Latest posts

Back