mk4 verses lonestar special

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overwater

Reaction score
well...not a verses really cos im keeping the mk4...but what is the difference in sound and is it worth having both..my style is sort of changing and im going for more a blues thing...can the mk4 do what the lonestar does...and same the other way...just wondering iff its loud enuff for a band ...im after anything from SRV to bonnamassa type of thing..
thanks

Two different animals. I've owned both (have the LSS now). In my opinion, the LSS will excel at more bluesey type stuff. I wouldn't consider it for high gain stuff, with or without a pedal, but others probably will disagree with me . The LSS is much warmer than the MKIV to my ears, especially clean. On the other hand, the MKIV is a rock and roll machine ++. Yes it can do bluesy stuff too, but to my ears doesn't have the same warmth (there's that word again) or vibe. I would definitely keep both amps if you're able. They each have their strengths and are killer amps in their own right.

Matt

thanks Matt
yes ill be keeping the mk4 as well..i couldnt bring myself to get rid of that one ...its a great amp
just my style has changed a bit, were doing a bit more bluesy type of thing..i havnt tried a Lone star special
its going to be a trade ..just hoping its gonna be loud enuff for the band..:)

I have no problems using the LSS with my band (me, another guitarist, keys, bass, & drums and everyone sings). We typically play your average bar (100-50 people max) and do not mic anything. I usually run the clean channel at 15 watts and the dirty channel on the 5 watt setting, master vol around 9-10 AM - plenty loud enough. Also use the LSS with a Fender Bandmaster head into a 1x12 cab - master vol on 4. Unless your band is playing much bigger places and running a big PA, you should be AOK with the LSS. Worst case scenario, run a second cab (pushing the LSS to pump out 35 watts) and/or mic it.

Matt

overwater said:
well...not a verses really cos im keeping the mk4...but what is the difference in sound and is it worth having both..my style is sort of changing and im going for more a blues thing...can the mk4 do what the lonestar does...and same the other way...just wondering iff its loud enuff for a band ...im after anything from SRV to bonnamassa type of thing..
thanks

For a vintage blues tone the LSS smokes the MK4 to pieces. For other sounds the MK4 smokes the LSS to pieces......I say keep both. You never know when you would need one or the other!

Latest posts

Back