Mk4(1998) and mk3(1988)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebulb

Reaction score
:?: Hello,I need some advice.I currently have a Boogie Mk4 made in 1998 and it is a head and a 2x12 Rectifier cabinet.I am very tired of lugging this amp and cab and I have found a Boogie MK3 bluestripe little combo.I am thinking of selling my Mk4 but never tried the Mk3.I have tried the Mk4 in a combo version but back then,I bought the head only because I already had the 2x12 Rectifier cab.How can I compare functionality and sound between those 2 versions and am I doing a big mistake?Should I keep the mk4 and just buy the Mk3 and lug this smaller amp around instead?The seller live quite far from me and before going there,I thought that maybe someone in this forum already went though that situation.I love the Mk4,great amp.I never fight with it to play because I sometimes think that I am playing the amp not the guitar.Sorry for my english and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

There are lots of posts on this board that compare the III to a IV, so won't go into the details regarding that. Basically the IV has more features, but IMO, the Mark III sounds better. That said, I have both a Mark IV and a III Blue Stripe (both combos) and use the IV for live use, simply due to it's versitility and switching features.

A combo, although smaller and lighter than a 2x12 and a head, is still rather heavy. A 2x12 cab will sound fuller, but the combo will usually cut through the mix better due to its open-back design. Cleans usually sound better with the combo too. Many people, including myself, pair the combo with a 1x12 Thiele cab which adds some nice thump to the open-back tone. I don't mind lugging the combo to gigs, but many other people prefer a head/cab combination.

Another idea for you is to keep the IV and simply purchase a 1x12 Thiele which would be easier to move around.

Latest posts

Back