MK IV widebody vs. compact combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicman10_1

Reaction score
New here. Hello to all. I have been reading for a little while and have gone through all the pages. Please help me. I just finished selling some gear to fund a new Mark IV. No dealer in my area (that I have visited) has any Mark IV amps. I have only ever played the standard Mark IV (compact).

If you were buying new is there any reason to consider the original compact version of the combo? I play blues to metal with the occasional country style guitar lick. My main guitars are humbucker equipped though I do break out a strat for those Jimi and SRV moments.

I simply have not heard a widebody combo and would like any advice with regard to my purchase. I am not a newbie to guitar - only to this forum - so please consider that this is a serious tone based question. I formerly owned a .50 caliber + but for the last several years have used a Fender Cybertwin. I was very happy with the .50 but simply changed for the sake of change and a wider variety of tones. The Mark IV has been a long time "wish list" item and now it is possible so I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks for you help and advice,

John

I wondered the same thing. Wide body vs compact. I just bought a wide body not knowing there was a smaller one after I got it home. I would think the bigger the body the more low end would be come out. Because of the bigger body. I also came from having a 50 Caliber. I then went to a F-30. The same size as a 50 Cal. So to answer your question is there a difference in sound? Beats me..............but I can assume the bigger the body the bigger the sound 8)

Dennis
MK IV
PRS artist package

The wide body combo has slightly more bottom end response. However, the short combo paired with a 1x12 thiele cab will sound massive. If you can afford to, I’d go with the short combo and a thiele cab. It is one of the more versital compact rigs out there. The thiele will blow your mind. It simply sounds amazing.

Latest posts

Back