Mk IIb again

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesCarr

Reaction score
:?: Any opinions on Mark IIb at low practice volumes. Will an attenuator help or will affect the tone too much. I don't play professionaly but LOVE the sound of those amps.

Hi there. Obviously if your amp is a 60/100w version run it in the 60w position and put the speaker in the 4 ohm jack, that will help a little. A straight 60w model run in the 4 ohm jack will help even further. As far a attenuators go I do not like them. However if the situation really warrants one, the the best sounding and best feeling one is the Weber Mass by far. I have listened to a bunch of them and Ted's sounds the best and it's not too expensive. Check their site Webervst.com.

By the way which speaker are you using?

I hope this helps!

I have had five attenuators and they all sound good when used on the right amp. The Weber Mass was one of the worst I think the Weber Load Dump sounded better. The only one I have found that seems to work on any amp is the Ultimate attenuator. That is probably because it isn't technically an attenuator but a self contained re-amp system. I use a fixed load on my MKIIC+ because I use a 16 ohm speaker but in doing so it takes half the wattage. I do this on other amps simply to knock down the volume and it works extremely well and is dirt cheap. Fixed load resistors can be bought for under $2. You don't need much in the way of attenuation on a Boogie because they are master volume amps and are designed to get their distortion from the pre-amp on my none master volume Marshalls some attenuation is a must.

thanks for the input. am in contact with owner, who apparently doesnt play cause he didn't know if this amp was a Mk-IIa of Mk-IIb. i called MESA up in Petaluma the Serial number confirms that it is a Mk-IIa. which is just fine for me I'm new to Boogie Amp but not the sound they suggested that if and when i take delivery to bring it up to them for testing or repair or Mods. should I so desire the amp has been in storage for long long time it looks pristine. Performance wise, this remains to be seen. Some times it is worse to store electronics and not use them once in a while.
I will see what MB opinion on attenuation is they might even have a Mod for earphones (One never knows) which I doubt. As for Mods since the Amp is getting old it is approaching collectible status so Mods might affect the value, what can I say. MB's opinion on the telephone was, what kind of sound do you want! we'll be glad to help.

I run an Ernie Ball Volume Pedal in the Effects Loop. In tour case, run one side to the PWR/PRE-AMP Junction on the back and the other to the PWR/PRE-AMP junciton on the underside of the chasis.

BWK

I have a 60/100 watt MKIIB and I changed the wiring to allow either the two inside or the two outside power tubes to be used at a time(not all 4 tubes together). In two of the sockets I have Groove Tube power reducers(PR-98) with EL 84 tubes.

I like the sound of the clean channel master 1volume turned up(with the volume 1 at 10). I use a Weber Mass 25 watt attenuator for the EL84 tubes, not the 6L6 as they are 60 watts(too much for this attenuator).

I am able to turn the master 1 knob to 4-5 and get a good tight british overdrive(tight, bright and chimey). I cannot go above this volume level, as there is a 2 watt resistor in the Groove Tube power reducers that will fry if done so.

I use the power reducers without their sleeves and the fan helps to keep them cool.

I have thought about getting a 50 watt attenuator for the 6L6 power tubes, and would probably buy another Weber product.

:D The mk-IIa was delivered today it is in excellent condition physically but I need to play with it. Mesa/boogie dose not have an instruction booklet on their website so I am left pretty much in the dark on all the controls and features i will use the Mk-IIb manual hoping that the features are similar in function. Anybody out there have a manual or know of some place on the web that I can get more information.

Back