mesa roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overwater

Reaction score
has any body tried the new mesa roadster yet, its just had a brilliant review in guitar buyer

The mail is slow here. My GP is late.

They probably did the Roadster because the RK II is backordered again and pops when channel switching from 3 vintage to 4 modern. The tone of the RK II is purely divine, so how can the Roadster deviate.

how does the road king compare to the mk4 cos i think the roadster is a slimmed down road king

well... i think if you want a sound that sounds very like everyone else who owns a RK then you would get one...a roadster has the same sounds just not sa flexable..they have a sound but thats the sound that everyone gets...the mk iv lets you get your own sound thats different...thats why i like the mk iv more...but i do have to say i love the modern channel on the RK,DR,R for rhythm stuff.... i was going to get a RK but i got my MK IV I AM HAPPY,,,but i think i would be no matter wat mesa it was..

thanks for the info, i was looking at trying the roadster and still will when one comes available. but i dont see how they can improve the sound of the mk4 apart from valve switching options and dual rec metal sound but i will probably love it when a hear it :twisted:

Shep, could you please describe me the tone of your JCM800 reissue ?
How does it compares with the MarkIV RHY2 ?
I set my MarkIV RHY2 channel to sound very closely to an old Marshall, and i like it very much, so as you own both can you tell me which one you like the most for rhythm tones ? just by curiosity ?

Shep said:
well... i think if you want a sound that sounds very like everyone else who owns a RK then you would get one...a roadster has the same sounds just not sa flexable..t

Actually, with a roadster you'll get at best HALF the sounds of a Road King II owner since the RKII has both 6L6 AND EL34 power tubes for significantly different tones, plus you can mix and match the tubes together too.

See our in-depth review of the Road King Series II on Sept. 1 at MusicPlayers.com. It will talk about the various differences in the amps.

Scott

jcm 800....i like them up at about 3 but there sound is less refinde and more harsh alot less focusd compared to my mk iv...i just sold my mashall to put towards another mk iv or a dual recto ( havn't chosen which yet..)
mk iv is so much nice to me..

the only thing that makes the roadster less flexable would be the possgessive linkage...and the lack of the road king II clean channels..

My understanding is that the roadster has the same cleans as the rk2.

I think the differences are (I'm on the market, so to speak, so I've done a little research):

1) No progressive linkage, although you can select 100 vs 60 watts.
2) Only 1 effects loop (the RK has 2)
3) No selectable speaker routing (RK can go to different speakers, based on the channel).

Succinct, and entirely correct. :)

Basically, I guess, if you want a box of great sounds without the option anxiety, go the Roadster. If you want an amp so flexible you'll never have to replace it, go the Road King.

sunder said:
My understanding is that the roadster has the same cleans as the rk2.

I think the differences are (I'm on the market, so to speak, so I've done a little research):

1) No progressive linkage, although you can select 100 vs 60 watts.
2) Only 1 effects loop (the RK has 2)
3) No selectable speaker routing (RK can go to different speakers, based on the channel).

Yes, same cleans from the Lone Star, actually.

50W is actually the half-power mode -- you probably looked at the blurry close-up on the Boogie web site where it almost looks like a 6 instead of a 5.

The only other difference:

No external loop control. You can trigger momentary or latching switch devices from the Road King's King Controller II -- there are two switch inputs on the back of the amp (one for pulse, one for latch) for starting/stopping drum machines, samplers, etc...

Nice, thanks!

I did get the 60 (vs 50) from the rather blurry pic on the website.

Regarding the external controls...the catalog shows a tuner-out and a mute instead of the triggers. I'm curious as to what I will get when I order one...

Antoine-

I know you were asking about the JCM800 RI (2203) but for your information my 1977 JMP Master Model MkII 50 watt Lead (otherwise known as a 2204 once they created the JCM800 series) absolutely kills the Mark IV R2 in tone and raw unadulterated Marshall rock distortion. The design unlike the 2203 never really changed throughout the JCM800. It just acquired a model # where before it had no official model # yet just like the 100 watt version. The 100 watter got circuit changes and a reduction in caps as the JCM800 series evolved. The reissue 2203x gained an effects loop but was otherwise the same as the JCM800 2203 that it was derived from.

Personally, I like the 2204 version slightly better though the 2203 has a little more bottom and headroom. I would not kick a 2203 out of bed but I do own the 50 watter for a reason.

Shep-

You really needed to get that 2203 past 4 to get a better understanding of that amp. Below 4 it stays too much on the preamp distortion. After 4 it becomes a firebreathing beast until you get to about 7 at which time it begins to hit its headroom ceiling. After 7 it starts to fuzz a little. But by that time you can't hear. This is the reason I chose the 50 watter. It gets good like that a little sooner. It was for the sake of the ears. I cannot say that was the reasoning behind my getting the 2210. That is probably Marshall's loudest 100 watter ever produced. That amp is insane... It does 2203 easily then continues to rip faces off as it gets gnarlier and louder. If it weren't for its innate Marshall looseness I would put it on par with the Mark IV for speed and thrashmetal top billing. I still love it in that setting and it is way easier to dial in than the Mark IV but the Mark IV keeps the tightness and clarity in spades due to the 6L6s.

sunder said:
Regarding the external controls...the catalog shows a tuner-out and a mute instead of the triggers. I'm curious as to what I will get when I order one...

Yes, that's one of the other differences. The Roadster has a cool Tuner Out that is NOT on the Road King II. It's a nice touch, actually.

Back