Mesa! New amps???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to see them come out with a very simple vintage style amp...much like the new Handwired Series Marshall introduced this year or Mesa's version of a Dr. Z style amp. None of the fancy shmancy features you find on most Mesas (assignable power sections, assignable effects loops and all those other things that seem practical and cool, yet take a toll on the tone). Sort of like the F Series only simpler yet with lower output...maybe in the 15-20W range with a real vintage vibe to it.

Surfcaster said:
(assignable power sections, assignable effects loops and all those other things that seem practical and cool, yet take a toll on the tone).

how do you figure those "take a toll on the tone" considering that in most cases for Mesa all those things are part of the original design?

Personaly, I dont use or want any of those things, and understand the concept you are hinting at, but whats there really to compare to within the Mesa line? Only thing I can think of is the Recto 2ch as opposed to the 3ch models.

To the use the RK as an example, its not like they just crammed a bunch of amps into one chassis in some sort of afterthought type move, I believe Randall said he spent almost a year drawing up the circuitry for that one. My point being, a lot of these extra fandangled features are integral in concept, and if they prevented any roadblocks in achieving the desired tone of the designer, Im sure its something they would address.

Let me start by saying that in no way am I dissing Mesa or Randall Smith...I know he's obsessive about his designs and his tone and it shows...you can get some great tones out of just about any Mesa.

Anyway, I'm certainly not an authority on this, and don't claim to be. But the books I've read on tube amps say that everytime you add a component to the circuit, there is a corresponding degradation of tone. Each tone control is a component, as is the reverb send and the reverb return, the effects send, the effects return, etc. (When you think about it, it makes sense...it's why all the sudden everyone wants their stomp boxes to have true bypass, so that when the effect is off, it doesn't affect their tone.) And one or two may have a neglible effect, but the more there are, the larger the overall impact. Modern amps are equipped with these features because players want them and they are convenient, but they degrade tone, so amp builders add additional components to attempt to "restore" the tone, but apparently it's not the same...like trying to glue a broken glass back together...it may hold water, but it won't look the same or be as strong.

This is why most of the expensive boutique amps have so few features...the fewer the features, the purer the tone.

And I'll tell you, I was a skeptic...until I plugged into a Dr. Z....I was blown away. It had a warmth and quality that I just can't get out of my F-50. Now it's not a high gain monster like the F-50, either. But to be honest, I really felt I could give up high gain for an amp that sounded that good. Unfortunately, the household accountant won't authorize the purchase of a Dr. Z at the moment, so I'll have to put that dream on hold.

As I said before, you can get some great tones out of just about any Mesa, but I'm just really curious what one would sound like without all the features.

blue angel or the maverick, rocket 44, heartbreaker, subway.... these are all very simple desings comparing to the mark and recifier series. not really a whole lot of features there, just a load of tone. mesa already has a slew of vintage tone amps.

Surfcaster said:
Anyway, I'm certainly not an authority on this, and don't claim to be. But the books I've read on tube amps say that everytime you add a component to the circuit, there is a corresponding degradation of tone. .

No no, I absolutely agree with you there, once again though, in most of these designs these additional features were integral to the original design, but tone isnt some sort of magical abstract ideal that most folks would like to think it.

I actually believe the reason why a lot of smaller botique amps dont have many features is for different reasons. Most of the ones youd probably mention are meant to be more vintage oriented, and vintage amps just didnt have these features.

dylan7620 said:
blue angel or the maverick, rocket 44, heartbreaker, subway.... these are all very simple desings comparing to the mark and recifier series. not really a whole lot of features there, just a load of tone. mesa already has a slew of vintage tone amps.
Yes, but how many of these are currently in production?

Mesa is going to build what sells. The largest market with the $$ to spend wants amps that are loaded.

heres a nice little rumor -

Somewhere located in a Bay Area studio sits a prototype boogie amp.
The proto supposedly has a very fenderesque look to it, and for being a small combo is absurdly loud.

More details to come

You tease! ;)

Man, I hope they come out with a nice low watt amp. But I don't know if I can wait that long.

frogger said:
You tease! ;)

Man, I hope they come out with a nice low watt amp. But I don't know if I can wait that long.
What about the Lonestar Special?

I have to admit, the Lonestar Special has me highly intrigued. The closest Mesa dealer is a 2 hour drive away and my weekends have been so busy lately...no time for a road trip. But one of these days I hope to test drive one of those babies!

I've been gassing for one for awhile. I've spent quite alot of time on it in the store, and finally got to take one home overnight to A/B with my mark III.
I LOVE the LSS.... The tones are all sweet, and the reverb is awesome! The wattage is just right, although, to get the highest clean headroom, you have to switch to the 38 watt speaker jack..
I came to the conclusion that I could come *real* close to the same tone, but my mark III doesnt have the same sheen of harmonics. The reverb absolutely KILLS the reverb on my mark, I have to get a better reverb pedal for it. And, the open back cab gives it room filling,cutting tone.
I decided that I could not afford the LSS, especially since I can get close to the tone. But I am going to look for a 2-12 open back cab with vin30's to give a little softer attack than the Thiele cabs with EV's I have now..
I will say that the LSS is a frigging excellent amp, and it's worth the time invested to try one out. If your into cleans to mildly overdriven, this is the amp for you!
ax. 8)
BTW, I'd definitely switch out the C90 for the G12H 30watt celestion. I think it would match the voice of the Special far better.... :wink:

dylan7620 said:
princton boogie perhaps? or a new version of one :eek: (just letting my mind run wild)
No kidding! That would be cool.

But what format? Lone Star type? Recto type? Mark Series?

I think Boogies only 6V6s (Princeton) amps were some SOBs, and the Blue Angel if I recall.

Do you have to remind me? :cry: I owned a Princeton Silver Face '68 - '72 and that had rock n roll written all over it => Stones, Surf, C. Berry, CCR. I was stupid and sold it to my brother's in-law. I missed crank that amp to 10.

I think the electrolytic capacitor blew out 'cause they said the amp smoked and quit on them. The sister stored in their junk room. I said I would purchase it back but then she said she did not want to go through all the junk looking for it. I just hope they still have it.

Hey, No Soul, any clue when this little combo will be available? I'm inches from pulling the trigger on a F30 head, but if this combo is coming out soon, I may just wait.

And how do you get your information??!! Do you know somebody on the "inside"? lol

Latest posts

Back