Mesa Mini Rectifier thoughts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikolai

Reaction score
So I've been looking into getting a new amp. I'm very picky, 'cause I want the sweetest clean tones and the most well defined leads and maybe some good crunch. I also want to be able to push a 4x12...but not too much. So, in comes the Mesa Mini Rectifier. I've only researched it online, but the clean tones are all mouth watering and it can get some good vintage crunch sounds all at a good 25 watts.

Okay, so it sounds great so far, but what I have trouble with is the higher gain stuff. At best it seems difficult for people to coax any great metal tone out of it. I heard some good lead stuff and some really heavy rhythm, but I also heard a lot of farting. With all of the settings I'm wondering if this is less the amps fault and more the players. Does anybody have first hand experience?

Higher gain issues with a Mesa? :lol:

I have had no problems at all with either the Mini Rectifier I had or the Rectoverb 25 head that replaced it. Do you not have any local shops you can go demo one at?

What do you consider a "metal" tone?

andross182 said:
Higher gain issues with a Mesa? :lol:

I have had no problems at all with either the Mini Rectifier I had or the Rectoverb 25 head that replaced it. Do you not have any local shops you can go demo one at?

What do you consider a "metal" tone?

Yeah, I know the Mesa reputation, but I thought maybe since it's lower wattage and some youtube reviews were less than perfect.

I guess I'd say high gain heavy metal modern stuff. I did hear some nice chugging, though. It seems to do classic rock pretty well. No shops anywhere near me. : /

nikolai said:
I want the sweetest clean tones and the most well defined leads and maybe some good crunch.

Most well defined leads = Mark, not Recto. I don't know what your price range is but it'd be worth checking both amps out if you can.

For the "classic rock" clips you've heard I'd be curious about the guitar/pickups used. Vintage style humbuckers w/ alnico magnets are pretty popular these days, but the Recto gets a lot more aggressive with a high output ceramic or (even better IMO) an EMG 81.

That, and I think a lot of demos kind of skim over the stereotypical Recto sound in an effort to demonstrate that they're capable of doing more than just massive palm mutes (that, and it's hard to demonstrate what it feels like to take a sledgehammer to the face via youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DadEGozSq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SO4VZ3zyac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkdMmQxEclo

Rectos tend to do better boosted for really aggressive metal tones. Of course, high output ceramic or, any clear, modern voiced pickups are great with this family of amps.

Personally, I think you may get on better with the Mark V 25.

screamingdaisy said:
nikolai said:
I want the sweetest clean tones and the most well defined leads and maybe some good crunch.

Most well defined leads = Mark, not Recto. I don't know what your price range is but it'd be worth checking both amps out if you can.

For the "classic rock" clips you've heard I'd be curious about the guitar/pickups used. Vintage style humbuckers w/ alnico magnets are pretty popular these days, but the Recto gets a lot more aggressive with a high output ceramic or (even better IMO) an EMG 81.

That, and I think a lot of demos kind of skim over the stereotypical Recto sound in an effort to demonstrate that they're capable of doing more than just massive palm mutes (that, and it's hard to demonstrate what it feels like to take a sledgehammer to the face via youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DadEGozSq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SO4VZ3zyac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkdMmQxEclo

I really only have enough to get a MR. I could always save another month or two, though. Now that andross182 alleviated my concerns and I watched more reviews, I'm more enthusiastic about the MR. I'll look into the Mark V 25, though.

screamingdaisy said:
For the "classic rock" clips you've heard I'd be curious about the guitar/pickups used.

Not sure, since I watched....so many videos, but I think it was a strat.

The MR does great for classic rock in vintage mode and modern rock/metal in either vintage or modern modes. It'll push any cabinet.

Possibly you heard problems where they didn't have the volume up and were compensating by diming the gain and pushing the bass up at the same time. This is a terrible idea. With rectos you need to use moderate gain and low bass at high volume.

It seems like a lot of people move to the Mini Rec from a solid-state amp like a Line 6. They are used to having ridiculous gain. That does not work with tube amps. Metal is not about gain, especially if you want a tight, brutal tone. Metal is about volume. You have to push the power stage.

The Mini Rec gets quite loud and its spirit is at high volume. It'll work well at lower volume, but if you want to bring the thunder, turn the master up. No other way.

The lead tones on this amp are not liquid, and not its main selling point IMO. I use a BB Preamp to get my lead tones. Just a little added gain, plus the tone shaping, does a world of good for lead tone.

The mark V 25 does seem to be better for leads but I think I prefer the MR better overall. It has better cleans from what I can tell. Thanks for the input everybody!

Now for a potentially more complex issue...the cabinet. I hear putting a lower wattage amp through a conventional 4x12 can make the amp quiter, which may or may not be a bad thing. My only concern would be tone. I've read about a guy running the MR through a 4x10 with good results. Thinking about putting some speakers in a 4x12. Any recommendations for the speakers or against a 4x12?

I can't think of a reason that a 4x12 would make the amp quieter.

I've run with 1x12 widebody ported V30, 2x12 recto horizontal and vertical and 4x10. They all sound a little different, but they all sound like a Mini Rec. Which is to say GREAT. I love my MR.

I like the V30 in general, and definitely with my MR. The 4x10 was surprisingly nice and I gigged with that for a while. A nice trade between large size and large tone. But if you have a 4x12, run it through that. Ohms are Ohms, the MR doesn't care what it drives.

MR performs beautifully with any size cabinet from my experience...112, 212 or 412. Huge tone and can hang with a drummer easily. 25w of clean is plenty; granted its a Fender Twin or anything but its a good sound. I like the Pushed mode when I am just messing around for some nice vox type tones and general crunchy rock.

Ch2 Vintage is quite nice and great for crunch and nice in general, the Modern pushes into the metal territory and the leading is nice. I find the amp itself really likes greenback speakers, one of my favorite combos so far with the amp.

I miss the 6L6 power tube sections myself, selling my MR right now...

nikolai said:
Now for a potentially more complex issue...the cabinet. I hear putting a lower wattage amp through a conventional 4x12 can make the amp quiter, which may or may not be a bad thing. My only concern would be tone. I've read about a guy running the MR through a 4x10 with good results. Thinking about putting some speakers in a 4x12. Any recommendations for the speakers or against a 4x12?

From my own experience, in general, the only times I have seen bigger cabinets make an amp quieter have been when the amp is solid state, and with an impedance mismatch (though not always on the mismatch). The solid states output section handles things differently, and though most any load will work ok (given you stay above the amp's minimum requirements); as impedance increases, the output decreases. This has not been the case with any tube amps that I have used.

You're right also; speaker efficiency would be a factor in the example you gave.

Back