Mesa IIC+ gut shots!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesieBooga

Reaction score
http://home.comcast.net/~toddduane/100_2894.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~toddduane/100_2875.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~toddduane/100_2889.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~toddduane/100_2879.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~toddduane/100_2876.JPG

Where did the pictures go?

They were great. I downloaded a copy of them and can repost them if you want. It was a great example of an upgrade and Mike B. did a tremendous job. All of the plate load resistors were changed and most were metal film. The lead channel plate loads were changed to metal film and he changed every cathode cap in the entire preamp. He did the 10pf mod to the clean channel and the .001 mod to the lead channel. The loop was alos done with metal film resistors. The bias filter caps were replaced and there is a bias mod which is the resistor across the bias supply filter caps. He did a great job. Too bad you yanked the pics.

Boogiebabies said:
Where did the pictures go?

They were great. I downloaded a copy of them and can repost them if you want. It was a great example of an upgrade and Mike B. did a tremendous job. All of the plate load resistors were changed and most were metal film. The lead channel plate loads were changed to metal film and he changed every cathode cap in the entire preamp. He did the 10pf mod to the clean channel and the .001 mod to the lead channel. The loop was alos done with metal film resistors. The bias filter caps were replaced and there is a bias mod which is the resistor across the bias supply filter caps. He did a great job. Too bad you yanked the pics.

They are still up. (the pics) I think only you are interested in them anyway Boogiebabe! thanks for the help!
8)
The bias mod...? I can adjust the bias now?!

What are those other "Mods" you speak of?

No, if you look at the power cap board, on the two small 47uf 75volt electrolytic caps ( Black with white stripe) there is a resistor across the top cap. A bias mod to adjust it would be similar, but use a potentiometer instead.

The 10pf mod reduces the brightness of the clean channel. The .001 mod reduces the brightness of the lead channel(also tames the lead a bit). On the IIC+ schematic is says "delete on simul". It is standard on the 60/100, but on the simul it allows you to reduce the highs, yet run the treble higher to balance out the tone stack. The IIC+ simul class is perceived as a bright amp and this mod tames it down a bit.

The schematic does not mimic the layout exactly. It is actually upside down and not everything is where it says it is.

Now if you can find them, I will buy you a beer !!!!

It's funny...MB's initials all over these amps look like a doctor's signature on a prescription! I wonder how many thousands of amps has his initials all over the world.

I need to post some photos of the guts of mine sometime. I think it's pretty much unmolested as I've owned it since 1990, but that's not saying that someone did something else beforehand.

Boogiebabies, maybe you can ID it and tell me if any work has been done. I'm also planning on making a trip to the Mothership in the next month or so for something I'm dealing with MB on and will see if there's anything he suggests doing.

My amp does make this farting noise when I power it down, as it always has since '90. Kinda funny actually.

Boogiebabies said:
The 10pf mod reduces the brightness of the clean channel. The .001 mod reduces the brightness of the lead channel(also tames the lead a bit). On the IIC+ schematic is says "delete on simul". It is standard on the 60/100, but on the simul it allows you to reduce the highs, yet run the treble higher to balance out the tone stack. The IIC+ simul class is perceived as a bright amp and this mod tames it down a bit.

The schematic does not mimic the layout exactly. It is actually upside down and not everything is where it says it is.

Now if you can find them, I will buy you a beer !!!!

That freaks me out! I've only played warm and dark IIC+'s. (4 if we're counting) I like dark tone amps. I wonder if I would like a brighter version of a IIC+!? In fact, the dark lead metal chunk is what I like about the IIC+ the most!

funk49 said:
It's funny...MB's initials all over these amps look like a doctor's signature on a prescription! I wonder how many thousands of amps has his initials all over the world.

I need to post some photos of the guts of mine sometime. I think it's pretty much unmolested as I've owned it since 1990, but that's not saying that someone did something else beforehand.

Boogiebabies, maybe you can ID it and tell me if any work has been done. I'm also planning on making a trip to the Mothership in the next month or so for something I'm dealing with MB on and will see if there's anything he suggests doing.

My amp does make this farting noise when I power it down, as it always has since '90. Kinda funny actually.

No problem. You can tell by the type of resistors, shiny new solder and if the silicone is clear or yellowed over time. Then there are the add ons.

Great pics, but to to honest I dont know much about guts. I'm assuming you changed it from a C? What differences did you notice from its original state?

Boogiebabies said:
AMG1 said:
Great pics, but to to honest I dont know much about guts. I'm assuming you changed it from a C? What differences did you notice from its original state?

" Vote for Pedro".

Huh? Dont get it. I'm thick.

Since your out there and seem to know stuff can you tell if my amps S Class from my pics?

Boogiebabies said:
Post them.

The differences are in the gain, post loop eq'ing and overall voicing of the preamp.

The differences are night and day. It is a totally different amp.

The pics are in New Guy MKIII Question thread , Thanks.

"You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"

Sorry, I had to do that after the Pedro reference.

(If anyone from Mesa Boogie reads these threads, I suggest your next amp be called the "Sledgehammer." It should have shocks and pegs, of course.)

Latest posts

Back