mesa dual rect !help me buy the right one

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildrat666

Reaction score
I ´m going to buy a rectifier this week and i´ve got 2 choices.
1:st choice: a 2 channel dual rect in good shape(less money)
2:and choice: a 3 channel dual rectifier with el 34 and a new setup with 6l6s and a recto 4*12(much money)
can I as a mesa beginner hear the difference between these amps?

Should the 2 channel amp have a 4 way footswitch( channel 1, 2 solo and loop or?)

thanks matt

Well on this board you are gonna get a lot of responses saying different things,its 50/50 with the great 2channel vs. 3 channel debate

Some say the 2 channel is a lot tighter,smoother etcbut most think that the 3channel is more versitile with the extra channel but it sounds more hissy

as far as the footswitch goes Im sure all the 2 channel rec only have a one button switch to change between the 2 channels,dont quote me on this because I have never owned a 2 channel!!

I own a newer 3 channel rec and run 6l6's in it and it sound great I can get alot of the hiss out of it by eqing it properly.I run it into a 1x12 Thiele cab and it sounds amazing,I also own a 2x12" recto cab and it sounds like ***(in the words of greg koch).

probably as a beginner you couldnt really hear the difference but then again the 2 channels are more creamy sounding and not as Harsh as the 3 channels

I would say, go with what you think is the best deal you wont be dissapointed with any of the outcomes unless the tone you have in your head is not the recto sound,lol

Euan

Even as a newbie, you will hear the difference between the 2ch and the 3ch. If you can't hear it, just spend 5 minutes with each amp and come back after 15 minutes. Then you will hear it.

To make it a fair comparison though, use the same tubes in each, same guitar, cable, etc, and most important....same settings! Put everything at 12oclock.

Read the post rectifier lineage and do a few other searches and you'll start learning the differences.

As an owner of both a 2 2ch's and one 3ch, all I can say is I like my 2ch's better.

thanks for the replies. I have to think about all, everbody saying different things. i´ll go with the flow hahahah

wildrat666 said:
thanks for the replies. I have to think about all, everbody saying different things. i´ll go with the flow hahahah

Yes you have a lot to think about but half of the fun is trying stuff out! Do yourself a favor and sample everything that cathces your eye before buying. Don't rule out a Single or Rect-o-Verb. They've got a nice bite like their bigger brothers.

Back