Mesa boogie triple rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarman32

Reaction score
Hey I just got a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier on ebay. But anyway I was wondering how to tell if I need new tubes or not. I did notice something werid.. when I turn it off of standby one of the tubes makes a blue flash and it didnt seem normal. And what do you guys usually set the output level at?

hmmm...never noticed a bluish tint with mine, but then again i'm never looking at the tubes when i turn it to standby, but, mine are normally orangeish in color all the time. Considering you got it off ebay and possibly don't know how long the tubes have been in there, I'd say a safe bet would be just to replace the entire tube array, and keep those as spares if you can afford it. Just to be on the safe side.

I keep my out put level around 8:30-9:00 for bedroom levels and around 11:00-11:30 for concert levels (haha, it don't take much turning to go from off to LOUD AS HAITIES on the Output knob), with the masters on the ch 1, ch 2, and ch3 at 2:00, 11:30, 11:30ish respectively. Hope this helps a little, nice catch on the bay.

\m/
-AJH

I cant seem to get a good tone out of this thing :/. I'm looking for a modern rock setting but it always just sounds really trebly not matter what. Anyone have any good settings for channel 2 or 3. It came with JJ 6L6 GC Tubes. Ps. Im using a marshall 1960b cab and a Schecter c-1xxx.

guitarman32 said:
... when I turn it off of standby one of the tubes makes a blue flash and it didnt seem normal...

Often power tubes have a bluish haze to them while running. A bright flash from only one tube is NOT normal. Looks to me like you're ready for some power tubes. Weak bass response is another clue. The JJ 6L6GC is a very full-sounding 6L6 so you should not be having this problem.

Since the amp is used you really have no idea how old the tubes are...if it were me, I think I would replace them all. Check out www.eurotubes.com and www.dougstubes.com for great tubes and a wealth of information.

So I should get 3 new 5u4g power tubes? Whats a good brand on a website that will ship really fast lol ?

The 5U4's are the rectifiers, not power tubes. If money is a big concern, just replace the 6L6GC's...should get the amp up-and-running (for now.)

With a used amp, its generally a good idea to do a full retube. Five 12AX7's, six 6L6GC's, and three 5U4's (the GZ34/5AR4 works well here too). Expect to spend around $200 for the whole mess, a hundred or so for just the power tubes.

Ok so what I ment to say is that one of the rectifiers have a flashing blue light when i put it off standby. i got the tubes mixed up.

It's about to fail. Then you will start blowing fuses. Pull all three of the 5U4's out and run the amp in the "Silicon Diode" setting until you can replace the tubes. I still think the weak bass is a power tube issue, however a bad rectifier could be limiting the voltage to the power tubes. If running in diode-rec mode brings back the tone, you have found the problem.

Thanks for all your help by the way. So let me get this straight.. I am manually just taking out all of the 3 5u4g tubes and trying it on "Silicon Diode" setting? And if that makes it sound better then I need to just replace the 3 5u4g tubes and when i replace them just keep running it on the "vaccum tubes" setting? Right? Sorry im kinda new at this haha

Alright cool thnx guys. I'll probably try those JJ rectifiers you mentioned. Might as well change the power tubes while I'm at it. What kind would you recommend for the power tubes?

guitarman32 said:
Does groove tube make power tubes for the mesa? and if so are they good/worth it?

Yes they SELL them...they do not make them. Groove tests and matches tubes from other manufacturers and relabels them. This will cost you extra. Is it worth it? That's up to you. If you decide to go the Groove Tubes route, make sure the power tubes you get are rated #4,5, or 6 so they will bias up properly in Mesa amps.

You can get the same tubes from Eurotubes (JJ's), or Dougs Tubes (most brands), also tested and matched, for less money. Be sure to tell whoever you buy from what amp they are for, so you get tubes of the proper rating (the bias is not adjustable in Mesa amps unless it has been modified.)

I picked up a matched quad of GT 6L6S tubes from
Guitar Center for $80.00...usually use Doug P. from Dougstubes
but these were a good deal.

Back