Mesa Boogie Mark 3 Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a question about the tubes in my Mark 3 combo.

I currently have a set of 4 STR 425 5881-6L6 in my amp. I was reading some tube reviews and the 6L6 STR-430 are highly recommended. I would like to uprade to them.

My question is about the smaller tubes in my amp. They don't have a number on them and I have no clue what thay are? Can anyone tell me what tubes I should get for the small tubes. I think there are a total of 5 or 6 of them behind the larger ones.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Thanks

Tony

skunizzi said:
Hi All,

I currently have a set of 4 STR 425 5881-6L6 in my amp. I was reading some tube reviews and the 6L6 STR-430 are highly recommended. I would like to uprade to them.

My question is about the smaller tubes in my amp. They don't have a number on them and I have no clue what thay are? Can anyone tell me what tubes I should get for the small tubes. I think there are a total of 5 or 6 of them behind the larger ones.

Tony
Hello skunizzi

The small tubes (5) are the preamp tubes: 12AX7. As a matter of fact they label the tubes locations by the abreviations v1 v2 v3 v4 v5.

And the STR (The Special Tube Request) is just how Mesa relabels their tubes.

The STR 440's = Ruby 6L6GMSTR
The STR 447's = Sovtek EL34's
The STR 442's = Svetlana (SED) EL34's
The STR 420's = Old Chinese sh!t... 6L6's
here it goes as Boogiebabies said to me.
For more information: http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

All all preamp tubes the same? Do they effect the tone of the amp? What should I get?

darkirish said:
skunizzi said:
Hi All,

Tony
Hello skunizzi

The small tubes (5) are the preamp tubes: 12AX7. As a matter of fact they label the tubes locations by the abreviations v1 v2 v3 v4 v5.

And the STR (The Special Tube Request) is just how Mesa relabels their tubes.

The STR 440's = Ruby 6L6GMSTR
The STR 447's = Sovtek EL34's
The STR 442's = Svetlana (SED) EL34's
The STR 420's = Old Chinese sh!t... 6L6's
here it goes as Boogiebabies said to me.
For more information: http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

Boogiebabies said:
Ahh, my cousin has it right. The Morgan Clan stikes again.

Mesa discontinued the use of the STR-430. It is just a Sovtek 6L6GC WXT
anyway.
I like that one: The Morgan clan, really like that one bro.
A big Irish kiss for you and your beautiful family.

skunizzi said:
All all preamp tubes the same? Do they effect the tone of the amp? What should I get?

Refer to the guide because it to long to elaborate here:
believe me they surely answer all your questions: http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20III.pdf

Back