Mesa amp question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnzboy

Reaction score
Hi there
So I bought my roadster head on January, couple months ago
How often do I need to change my tubes?
I usually play at a low-mid volume (master volume=9 to 11 o'clock)
(with channel master around 10 to 11 o'clock) at my home
I haven't got a change to jam with my friends but
if I do during summer, I think I'm gonna crank the volume more often.

Also, do I need to change both pre and power tubes at the same time?
I've never had a full-tube amp before so I have no idea about replacing
tubes hahah...

the last question: So looks like there is a 6 months warranty for the amp's tubes..so if I wanna get them replaced in 6 months, can I just ask
Mesa to send me a new set of tubes? I'm not sure how this system works..

thanks!

I would say a good rule of thumb is to change your power tubes at least once a year to be on the safe side. If your amp sounds dull or flat and lifeless time for a new set. Depending on if you run your amp on 50, or 100 watts, you can get away with just changing a pair at a time.
You only have to change your pre-amp tubes when you start hearing weird noise or sputtering.
As far as the warranty on your tubes, Mesa will replaces them if they go bad within six months from the date of purchase, so save all receipts and paper work from your tubes and your amp. Have Fun!

I might add ... to make sure your speaker(s) are plugged into the right impedance output jack for the power you choose. After I switched down to 50 watts by pulling the inner pair of power tubes on my DR, I learned that I should plug the cab into the 4 ohm 'out' instead of leaving it in the 8 ... I could immediately hear the difference. Before that, I had thought that perhaps my tubes were going or that setting the amp at 50 instead of 100 made it lose some of the sparkle. I was wrong. Almost like changing strings, the tone just came alive again and it didn't cost a thing! I could definitely hear it. Just make sure you follow the set up requirements for your particular model of amp and include them in the process when you change your tubes.

... anyway, like what Mr. fishyfishfish said, that one year rule is known to be accurate if you play often and at performance levels ... depending on your amp and playing style(s), you may get a little more or less out of them. I've turned on amps that were 30 years old and they had tubes that still sounded fresh. As for the preamp tubes, when the sputtering and hissing noises start to climb, you only really need to hunt down the bad one(s) and replace it, not the entire lot.

So good luck with that boogie and have fun. :D

Back