Mesa amp choices: Why is it that...?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6_6_6_1_syn

Reaction score
Why do so many more artists use the Triple and Dual Recto than any other Mesa? I never looked into either of these too much except for the Road King and Roadster Dual Rectos but I just mean the basic. I have read that the Mark IV, Road King, Roadster, Stiletto Deuce, etc. were much better but I guess it depends on personal taste. I just didn't know why these Rectos were so commonly used.

Edit: Yes I'm a noob.

I think more of it is simplicity than anything. Can you imagine a roadie trying to get you dialed back in on a Mark IV? Imagine this... It is dark, you need a quick adjustment, ham-fisted Larry your roadie goes to give you a little volume change so you can hear yourself better. WHAM!!! You kill the sound guy, your bandmates, the first five rows, and yourself, not to mention Larry, with the blast from his suggested little adjustment. He couldn't help it, it was dark and his flashlight batteries were low. You just got done yelling at him the last show because he was on stage too long. So he thought he would quick slip the knob what he thought was enough. Turns out it was too much. Or this one is good too... Having no success kicking people back off the stage from the riot you are ensuing and not wanting to swing your guitar you pick up your Kong Kontroller and knock someone out. You get arrested for assault with a deadly weapon. Then you get sued for every penny and all your property plus 10 million. Or how about this one... Some fool backstage decides he is going to run off with your Roadster because he can't afford one. He has never seen one in person and the temptation is too great. So he swipes it when noone is looking leaving you hanging for the next gig (tomorrow night). This is funny, don't forget this one... After hearing you sound check with your Stiletto, the guys in the other bands beg you to use your amp for their set. After denying them as you should and telling them to play their Marshalls, they all jump you and buy you a one-way ticket to the ER. Your amp gets played anyway and destroyed as they fight over it after the show. You and your amp are never the same. These are some reasons not to gig with these amps. :wink:

All seriousness aside, I think it is because that is what backline companies usually have sitting around. I also think that the Dual and Triple are the most popular and most often sold amps Mesa builds. They certainly have the easiest controls to learn. They have also been around the longest with exception to the Mark IV. Many have yet to completely master these other amps also.

stadidas said:
The Rectifier is also seen as a benchmark by many people. It pretty much defined the modern metal guitar tone.

+1

Hopefully the Stilettos will start to make a similar mark upon the masses.

IMO Dual and Triples are the least expensive of the other Mesa amps you mentioned. Especially when compaired to the Mark IV, RK, and Roadster. If your like me and play mostly metal, your not really interested in the quality of the cleans(at least not yet and I have an old fender that's really clean) that DR and TR put out and the more expensive counterparts boast.

I think a lot of players pick up a Single, Dual, Or Triple used and fall in love with it. I just watched a Single head close on ebay for $700! Rare but I have seen DR's and TR's on ebay and Craigslist for right around a grand. Not so much for Mark's, RK's, and Roadsters.

If your looking for one and like the modern sound and that's pretty much what you play, buy one. If you are looking for more versatility(and have the money!) buy one of the latter. Don't be intimidated buy the Mark. I'm still looking to take one for a test drive.

clutch71 said:
I just watched a Single head close on ebay for $700! Rare but I have seen DR's and TR's on ebay and Craigslist for right around a grand.

We just saw a pre 500 Serial Number DR go for $2550!

I think a Dual Rec with a Tube Screamer type pedal into a Vintage 30 cab is one of the most recognized Rock sounds out there. I love mine run like this.

I have a Splawn, a Cornford and a Peavey too and the Mesa is easily at home with these other amps.

kramerxxx said:
I think a Dual Rec with a Tube Screamer type pedal into a Vintage 30 cab is one of the most recognized Rock sounds out there. I love mine run like this.

I have a Splawn, a Cornford and a Peavey too and the Mesa is easily at home with these other amps.

Wow, I could not use the name peavey and my beloved amp in the same sentence. Which of course is an old Mesa DR two channel made in March of '92.

I bought one because it's fairly versatile and sounds great loud, which even some tube amps I've tried can't say. I can get a great thick rock type sound from either channel (2 channel DR) without much tweaking and it just has balls. It's funny... I find myself cutting the treble and leaving the presence all the way or nearly all the way up and it makes for a really smooth, not harsh sound for either chords or lead playing but it still cuts through as well as anything I've played. Really strange amp in that respect. I would say that the sound is "big" in a way that other amps often can't achieve.

madryan said:
I bought one because it's fairly versatile and sounds great loud, which even some tube amps I've tried can't say. .............................. I would say that the sound is "big" in a way that other amps often can't achieve.

+1 for my Roadster

Dom

Back