Mesa 430s or 440s in the MK IV ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenoBluzGtr

Reaction score
First question, my amp is sounding really "scratchy", "gritty" and hard to smooth out. It seems to get worse as it gets warmer.

I assume a tube change out is in order (I have had the amp nearly a year, and steadily gig and rehearse to the tune of over a dozen hours weekly. I estimate the amp (original tubes) has close to 400 or 500 hours on it, not counting what it got as a floor model in the store.

The original Power Tubes are the 430s, but in speaking with MB (Mike? I believe) the 440s are fine to use as well. I have heard that the 440s are a bit "lower gain".

Does anyone here have any experience with the 440s?? Also, I am going to take the opportunity to change out all preamp tubes as well, and will simply go with replacement MB 12AX7s...

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance!!!

For info and insight..... I use Strats (with Humbucker in the bridge) exclusively, and the band I am in does Classic Rock, Country, Southern Rock and Blues covers. My preference is for a deep, thick, quacky clean (think Tweed Bassman or Super Reverb with a speck of dirt) using the single coils; a nice crisp, but tight and smooth Rhythm 2 (think Super Reverb or Deluxe Reverb cranked) - kind of a good SRV/Walter Trout grind; and the Lead channel (which I use as a rock rhythm channel) more "Boogie-like", ... sorta Santana... Robben Ford.... Clapton with Mid-Boost on... type of sound (sort of a Dumble-esque tone). I use the EQ as a lead boost, so all my tones are achieved without the EQ.

Have'nt tried the 440's

I had 430's and I thought they sounded good I have them in my Lonestar now.

If your looking for something that I thought was mellower I liked the 5881's 425's.

Currently I have Jan military 6L6's I think they are Phillips. They seem to have a Fendery type sound.

Latest posts

Back