Mesa 400+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uyvu_taman

Reaction score
I just bought a used mesa boogie 400+ Amp. I also bought 2 mesa boogie cabs. One is 15" for 8ohms 400 watts and the other one is 2x 10" for 8ohms 600 watts. (both are powerhouse Cabs). I am not sure how to connect my 400+ amp with this speaker cabs.

Can I use both cabs for my 400+ amp or oly One?
If I need to use both cabs, Do I need to plug in the 8ohms out put or 4ohms out put?

What type of connection that I need to use (I mean parallel or series)

Another question: Please help me to chose the appropriate case for my 400+ Amp. Which case is fit the best and works well for amp 400+. I heard people talk about 4 rack mount or 8 rack mount...or Not enough air flow.........etc.

Please help me out, I am a new bassist.....I did not know much about these stuff.

I have a 400+ that I use with 2 RoadReady 2x15s (Most of the time just 1 cab therefore I use the 4 ohm outlet)...Since each each cab is rated at 4 Ohms, so I would need to plug into plug into the 2 Ohm outlet--if I use both cabs.). Pretty simple. In your case, use the 8 Ohm outlet if you use 1 cab. Using both cabs will change everything to 4 Ohms.

You can go to the Mesa website and download their user manuals & also calling Mesa service reps. would be a good idea if you have any doubts. I have found them to be helpful.

RE: Your rack case...I use a RoadReady Mesa rack case that holds my Mesa 400+, M-2000, Tuner, & Rack Rider Power conditioner...(HEAVIER than Hell...but worth the peace of mind for a backup amp (M-2000)-never had to use it yet...& quality protection from this rack case--lots of cooling air space too.).

Get a quality rack case (SKB cases tend to come unlatched---Shop around, try E-Bay). If you gig often ---don't mess around get the BEST shock-proof protection you can afford.

I "lifted" the following from the Mesa manual for the 400+
(I think it's a good idea too, to make sure you use "speaker cables" not instrument cables when connecting your cabs to your amp--)

SPEAKER JACKS
Two 8-ohm, two 4-ohm and 2-ohm speaker jacks are provided on the Bass 400 Plus. The
amp will produce its full power at all of these impedances, provided that the total
impedance of your speaker cabinets is matched to the output(s) used. (Slight mismatches
are not a major problem, but they will cause slightly lower output and may shorten tube
life.) When using more than one speaker cabinet, remember that the total load impedance
goes down as more cabinets are connected. For example, if you use one 8-ohm speaker
cabinet, use one of the 8-ohm jacks. But if you use two 8-ohm cabinets, they will be
operating in parallel and the total load will be 4 ohms. Therefore, plug each cabinet into a
4-ohm jack. If you want to use two 2x15 cabinets where each cabinet is rated at 4 ohms
(which is how Boogie 2X15’s are wired), connect both cabinets to the 2-ohm Jacks
provided.

Back