Mesa 2x12 vert

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlst7

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been playing a mark IVB for about 5 years now. I blew the C-90 a while back and ended up putting the new EVM12L in it. Love it. Anyway.. I have the opportunity to buy a Mesa 2x12 vert at a good price and plan on running the 2x12 with the combo on-top of it simultaneously for my live rig. Lotta questions.. Will the wide-body combo sit awkwardly or nice on top of the 2x12 vert? Am I able to run them both simultaneously without damaging the amp? The 2X12 has V30s in it. I do plan on changing them to EVMs, but in the meanwhile idk if there is an OHM issue between the two different speakers? Do you think for a musician playing clubs for 50-300 ppl it makes sense to use more than just a combo? keep in mind my lead guitarist is using a 4x12 so idk if it would help balance sounds? I cant get a 412 because I drive a very small car. How much is a used Mesa 212 in fair condition worth? Since I do plan of changing V30s to EVM12Ls, has anyone had any experience with MarkIV/2X12 vert w/EVMs? ps. I am using an ESP Eclipse (non-EMG) and am playing west coast style punk, so essentially modern high liquid gain with crunchy palm mutes.

Thanx guys u rock

I play similar gear in similar venues to similar sized crowds and my vert 2x12s have delivered perfectly for 24 years. Ironically, MANY years ago (about 25 years ago), I was in Hollywood, CA watching a neo punk band in some bar with one guitarist. He played a Mark III and had a pair of 2x12 vert half-back cabs and absolutely SLAYED it! Best tone I'd heard in a live venue and influenced me to get mine. For that genre music, it sounded perfect, even though it wasn't exactly what I played at the time.

Stock, my cabs came with a C90 in top and EV12L in bottom but I later swapped the EV for another C90 when I was playing a lot of outdoor gigs. I also stacked the pair of cabs on top of each other and sounded great! But our difference in music styles probably explains my move away from the EV. Regardless of style played, I never warmed up to the EV...always found the top end grating. And now that I'm playing in a classic rock group, even the C90s don't really fit. I've migrated to WGS speakers but that's another story.

Recently, my combo was converted to head-only to cut down on the weight for load-in/out and I'm really happy with that format. Since I always play a 2x12 cab, the convenience of a 1x12 combo disappeared. But the short combo fit on top of the cab perfectly. A long chassis combo will fit, too.

If you like the EVs, then stick with them. Going to a 2x12 will increase the bottom end substantially and will project dramatically better than the combo. More importantly, you can experiment with an open or closed top, which makes a big impact. I used both for different purposes.

Good luck! I think you'll really appreciate the 2x12 format in live work.

Ok thank you. I am now considering just getting a 1x12 theile with an EV or something because there is going to be impedance issues if I run the 2x12 cab at the same time as the combo i guess. My issue is I need at least one more speaker for live applications. I like very tight bottom end sounds, does a theile get you there? Do they make any other closed back 1x12 cab? Since there is only 1 8ohm out and 2 4ohm outs on the back of the mark IV, and the EV's are 8 ohms, is it possible to run the combo speaker and the 1x12 ext cab (both with ev) simultaneously? Or would running both the EVM in the combo as well as the EVM ext cab simultaneously knock the 8ohm speakers down to 4, making it the proper impedance to plug into the two 4 ohm jacks?

atlst7 said:
Hello,

I have been playing a mark IVB for about 5 years now. I blew the C-90 a while back and ended up putting the new EVM12L in it. Love it. Anyway.. I have the opportunity to buy a Mesa 2x12 vert at a good price and plan on running the 2x12 with the combo on-top of it simultaneously for my live rig. Lotta questions.. Will the wide-body combo sit awkwardly or nice on top of the 2x12 vert? Am I able to run them both simultaneously without damaging the amp? The 2X12 has V30s in it. I do plan on changing them to EVMs, but in the meanwhile idk if there is an OHM issue between the two different speakers? Do you think for a musician playing clubs for 50-300 ppl it makes sense to use more than just a combo? keep in mind my lead guitarist is using a 4x12 so idk if it would help balance sounds? I cant get a 412 because I drive a very small car. How much is a used Mesa 212 in fair condition worth? Since I do plan of changing V30s to EVM12Ls, has anyone had any experience with MarkIV/2X12 vert w/EVMs? ps. I am using an ESP Eclipse (non-EMG) and am playing west coast style punk, so essentially modern high liquid gain with crunchy palm mutes.

Thanx guys u rock

Could be a problem running the 2x12 and speaker in the combo at the same time.
Depends on ALL the speakers impedences and how the two are wired in the 2x12

Read this thread.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62980

Back