Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab. Anyone Make it STEREO instead of MONO?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightywarlock

Reaction score
I have been trying to decide whether to make my 2x12 Recto cab Stereo (can be done or buy the parts at the Hollywood store).

i am currently using it with my 2:90 and Triaxis and G-force, but will use the cab with all sorts of different preamps that can produce a stereo sound.

If i switch the jack plate out and rewire the speakers (the 8ohms would become 4ohms each for stereo correct?) what would this do to the volume or tone?
I am not going to be buying any more cabs anytime soon (i already have way too many) and the 2x12 has been more than enough for me and the shows my band plays lately...but i just feel i am missing something not running it in stereo since i can...but i get confused with the whole Ohms issue, and also with the 2:90 power amp. inside the cab there are 2-16ohms v30 speakers. 2 tied together to fit the one 8ohm mono jack. so if i went stereo, would it then be 2-16 ohm input jacks, or 2 4ohm jacks? and does this do me any good if i am using the 2:90? the power amp has side A and side B...each has an 8ohm jack, or 2 4ohm jacks. so if i was to run stereo, what the heck would i plug in to on the power amp if i switched the cab to stereo? Mismatch the 16ohms to the 8ohm jacks? will this eventually harm the power amp or transformer?

is this even a possibility to make this work?

and as i asked, does this change the tone?

thoroughly confused. :shock:

It's been done. Go to johnpetrucci.com and then go into the gear forum. Do a search just like this "shunt AND jack". You will find a thread by a forum member named pauly. He did the mod on his Mesa 2x12. He indicates the type of shunted jack you need as well as the wiring diagram. If you don't find it, email me and when I get home I can send you the diagram.

Dave

Back