Maybe it's just all in my head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
Maybe it's just in my head, but I swear that sometimes my Mark III sounds different from time to time without changing any settings. Tonight I was playing and the amp sounded like crap, I got frustrated and turned it off. Came back about an hour later and it was a complete different animal. Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

It sounds like a Mark series thing. I have the Mark V and it does change. The guys in the Mark V area here have spoken of this. Before reading a little in the Mark area I thought it was me. Then again I remember reading an article with Randy Rhoads experiencing sound inconsistencies with his Marshall. He tried using a fan blowing over dry ice into the back of his amp head. No change, well it still was not consistent.

Usually I play with it for a bit, warm it up and it comes back or I tweak it a little.

Fluctuations in the voltage coming out of the wall will affect the voltages throughout the amp, which will change the way it sounds. Also, atmospheric changes can have a small effect in how our ears perceive things.

At 50yrs old I do have hearing loss. My military service as a gunner didn't help but I tell you what the slightest change in the attack or the clean pushing just a little too hard and I hear it and it drives me nuts. Then again my wife will talk to me and sometimes I don't hear a thing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveO said:
Fluctuations in the voltage coming out of the wall will affect the voltages throughout the amp, which will change the way it sounds. Also, atmospheric changes can have a small effect in how our ears perceive things.

you Nailed it Steve, Line voltage fluctuates widely due to demand, as much as 10 to 12 vlts . Air pressure changes can effect the way you can hear, bio rhythm/body changes can also effect the way you perceive sounds like blood sugar levels and levels of certain nutrients or vitamins ( or blood Alcohol level or other intoxicants for that matter) some times something as simple as drinking a glass of water can make a major difference. The only one you can have any repeatable results with might be line voltage by getting a voltage regulated transformer isolated power conditioner, not a cheap proposition, but well worth it especially if you recording or playing out in a lot of dives with bad under rated power service.

Latest posts

Back