Mark?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threemounts_1

Reaction score
I need an amp that gives me some versatility on stage. I love the mark series cleans and from wat I understand it has that great infamous boogie gain channel too. I've never owned any mark amps but I need a 3 channel on stage for a clean tone, mid range 70's overdrive and sum high gain. If you guys know of which mark Is for me, or suggest a diff boogie..or evens different amp company. Watever you guys think.

I suggest a IIC with a pedal booster to create the third channel, or a IIC+ (with a booster too). I prefer the sound of a IIC rather than a III or IV; the clean channel is the best of all Boogies and with the lead channel you can get that mid range 70's overdrive. I think that a IIC can also create a British sound on the lead channel, such a Marshall but more focused.... :D

I have an MAB T-Rex Overdrive pedal that I use. I want fender cleans, plexi punching 70's midgain, and that great mesa high gain distortion...all with a click of a button with a footswitch. I use my t-Rex primarily for a boost because it lacks the gain I need to actually be used for my midrange gain. Plus I like the actual amp gains better than any pedal could make.

You could go for a Quad preamp or a Studio preamp. The quad allows for 4 "channels", 2 rythm and 2 lead, taken from the mark IIC+ and Mark III, with foot switchable independent graphic EQ for each of the 2 main "channels" (IIC+ and III)

the studio is just one "channel" meaning one lead and one rythm with an eq that is footswitchable. Think of the quad as a pair of studio preamps in one box, but with different voicings.

or you could get a mark III and use a boost for extra lead and roll down the volume for a light crunch.

The Mark IV fits that description pretty much perfectly, apart from the 70's Boogie drive - while the IV is the best 3 channel Boogie and, in my opinion, amp in general, it can't do the Mark I thing.

Simply put, there is no other amplifier that sounds quite like a Mark I Boogie - however, if you were to stick a Menatone Howie pedal or similar in front of a Mark IV clean channel you might get a Dumbley/Mark-Iish sort of tone?

But I think Mark IV would be the best amp in this situation. Or wait a few days, or week, or however long for the V to come along.

Latest posts

Back