Mark V vs Lonestar Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_o

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a Mark V, but it would probably mean having to sell my LSC. I use the Lonestar Ch1 set up for a big round clean and Ch2 with a low to mid gain blues/rock overdrive.

I will of course be waiting until I can try a Mark V before I make a decision, but for those Mark V owners who have/had a LSC does the MkV replace effectively the LSC? Or should I be saving up so I can keep the Lonestar too?

Ah...the LS Special probably does cleans and blues a little better than the Mark V (don't know, have never played the LS Special) but one can assume that since it's a dedicated Class A amp...the MK V cleans are GREAT though (they pulled it from the LS) and it does blues really nicely...I would bet though that the LS S does the overdriven blues a lot better too.

Now since you have an LSC...I think I would definitely sell that for a MK V...and if you had a LS Special...I would keep that...and save for V-greatness

LSC is like Fat and Mark 1 mode. Remember the LSC is Mesa's homage to the Mark I in some respects.

Mark V does more, weighs more. The cleans might be better on an LSC than the V...I haven't A/B'd them.

I've been playing my Thornton Fusion (strat redesign) through a LSS Head with a custom 2x12 open back cab. Such sweet tones, and 2 channels to boot. I love it. Then came the Mark V. I ordered the head....waiting....waiting....waiting.....cancelled the head. My dealer however, received a Mark V combo. Now, I've tried the Road King combo with mesa 2x12's and didn't care for it, so I was very skeptical about the speaker in the mesa Mark V combo. HUGE MISTAKE ON MY PART. I tried the combo.....mmmm...sounds pretty good (could be set up better...but hey, everyone is tweaking it on the try-out). The Mark V was on an amp stand...so we hooked to a rectifier 2x12 closed back cabinet, and HOLY MOLY, the low end was killer. Went back the next week, they still had it.....really tried it out this time......WOW, this really is good. So, I'm thinking to myself....I've got a 2x12 closed back cab, and with this 1x12 Mark V combo, I've got a pretty good range of options. So I went crazy and bought it on the spot (it's nice to be an adult with good credit). Took it to my practice room, put it on the carpeted floor, turned it on.........OMG...the whole sonic character filled out....simply bloomed with a 3D effect. Now the tough part...dialing in my Fusion. Now let me say this: Chuck Thornton is a Master Guitar Builder. His Fusion is a redesign of the Strat with the following emphasis. No heel, deep set tenon, bolt on neck. (http://www.cpthorntonguitars.com) It is a S/S/H set-up with Lindy Fralin pickups, Fralin/Thornton/Shapiro design electronic wiring, including a Grosh design blend for the neck and hum pickups. Enough said. Almost immediately the tones of channel 1 produced the same effect in me as my Lone Star Special. I had heard that the cleans in the Mark V rivaled the LSS. I can say without a doubt this is true. The LSS is a little creamier in my practice room, but on stage some of those killer sonic values are lost in the larger/harsher venues. I use Channel 3 of my MV for my blues sound...a little bit of push and crunch. And then I use Channel 2 for the ZZ TOP tones. Also, the tonal qualities change as the volume changes. The mid-volume range is simply excellent and will handle most clubs. This is one powerful amp.

Overall, I am ecstatic about my new Mark V Combo. It really is a superb, superb amp. I'll be selling the rest of my stuff now.
8)

matt_o said:
I am thinking about getting a Mark V, but it would probably mean having to sell my LSC. I use the Lonestar Ch1 set up for a big round clean and Ch2 with a low to mid gain blues/rock overdrive.

I will of course be waiting until I can try a Mark V before I make a decision, but for those Mark V owners who have/had a LSC does the MkV replace effectively the LSC? Or should I be saving up so I can keep the Lonestar too?

Nope, definitely not. The cleans are great on the MK V...and they do have a hint of LSC in it...but it is more MK IV clean fattened up a bit with a better reverb. The LSC still sports the best Mesa cleans IMO. Only get the MK V if you yearn for a more liquidy lead tone from the lead channel. Or for a lead that you don't have to fight with as much.

I've owned the LSC several times in the past. And honestly, I'm inclined to move my Shiva and Supersonic to re-purchased one.

I've only had my Mk V head for one night and I'm playing it through lone star classic 2x12 c90 combo speakers.

At the moment I definitely prefer the clean tone on the classic and, so far, the classic's reverb sounds warmer.

Had the Classic for a year though so obviously you get a better tone as time goes on.

I'd be interested in any tips for how to get the Mk V cleans to sound like the LSC cleans. For me the MK V cleans, at the moment, sound to bright on the top strings and have that kind of electronic toy feel. Not quite sure how to explain it. That's with a PRS 305.

ozboy said:
I've only had my Mk V head for one night and I'm playing it through lone star classic 2x12 c90 combo speakers.

At the moment I definitely prefer the clean tone on the classic and, so far, the classic's reverb sounds warmer.

Had the Classic for a year though so obviously you get a better tone as time goes on.

I'd be interested in any tips for how to get the Mk V cleans to sound like the LSC cleans. For me the MK V cleans, at the moment, sound to bright on the top strings and have that kind of electronic toy feel. Not quite sure how to explain it. That's with a PRS 305.

That's your 305 more so than the Mark V. I use to own a 305, and didn't like how it sounded clean through my mk v

ozboy said:
Maybe so. Sounded great through the LSC though.

It happens. My 57 LP Historic Goldtop does not sound great clean into my RA100, but sounds amazing into my MKIV and my Shiva -- Clean, that is.

I am in exactly the same situation myself. I have had a LSC and considered it to be the best amp inte world (in a band/recording context). Bought a MkV and hoped it could give me an equally awesome rock/blues tone. After som serious tweeking sessions and a couple of live gigs I have come to the conclusion that I indeed will sell the LSC. The Mk V i a sensitive amp when it comes to settings. Make very carefull notes of your settings... One little change and your entire tone changes. Almost any tone is possible here. A little tip which I found dotted the i's for me is to lower the individual preamp masters and raise the amps master volume . The amp will saturate earlier and become "rounder" tone wise. I love it!

Danjel

Thanks for the master vol tip. I'll be trying that for sure. There are three channels to get working in combination so I never expected this would be a one day process.

ozboy said:
For me the MK V cleans, at the moment, sound to bright on the top strings and have that kind of electronic toy feel. Not quite sure how to explain it.

That's exactly the problem I had in the first band practice sessions where I took my then new Mark V to. Especially on channels 1 and 3. Earpiercing ice-pick highs that were anything but creamy or syrupy on channel 1 (I had to roll off Treble&Presence heavily and/or roll off Tone on the guitar) - and the Bright switch on channel 3 good for ultramasochistic "let's make your ears bleed" moments.

The root cause turned out to be was that the stock tubes and the stock C90 speaker didn't jive together all that well. Especially when the C90 wasn't broken in yet. Through an external V30-loaded cab (2x12 or 4x12), it was not as bad. However, the real solution for me personally was to ditch the stock 6L6s altogether and put in SED =C= EL34s instead. I'm not saying that's a silver bullet that takes away all your problems. For me, it worked. But it's a tradeoff. You will lose (some of) the bottom end bloom, and might like the Clean and Fat modes a little less as a result. On the other hand, you can actually use the Bass knob - with 6L6s, you had to roll it off almost completely (9 o'clock or lower) or your sound got boomy and mushy. Channel 3 will be different (more in-your-face aggressive, not as thick and massive as with 6L6s), while Channel 2... you haven't really heard what Channel 2 is capable of if you haven't tried it with EL34s! Yes, it's that good with EL34s.

Well, I kinda of finding it hard to explain. In general, the LSC cleans were bigger and fatter, whilst the cleans on the Mark V (even on the fat mode) isn't as big sounding as the LSC. Hope that makes any sense. In short, the voicings are definitely different. Best to try both out. To me, the cleans on the Mark V are very reminiscent of those Fender Princeton amps...

Here are my settings on the MkV ch 1:
I have the combo with c90 and stock 6L6 together with my E Johnson strat.
Fat, no eq, 90w, normal, gain 2 o clock, master 10:00, pres 9:30, treb 9:30, mid 3:00, bass 10:00. My master volume is right around saturation, 10:30. Hopes this helps... I think the secret might lie in the mids... Fairly high for me. Experiment with the eq sliders after taste.
8) rock on!

JAZZGEAR said:
ozboy said:

That's your 305 more so than the Mark V. I use to own a 305, and didn't like how it sounded clean through my mk v

I have the same experience with my PRS 513. Outstanding through LSC clean, but less so theough the V

Danjel said:
Here are my settings on the MkV ch 1:
I have the combo with c90 and stock 6L6 together with my E Johnson strat.
Fat, no eq, 90w, normal, gain 2 o clock, master 10:00, pres 9:30, treb 9:30, mid 3:00, bass 10:00. My master volume is right around saturation, 10:30. Hopes this helps... I think the secret might lie in the mids... Fairly high for me. Experiment with the eq sliders after taste.
8) rock on!

I use very similar settings on my clean channel. Don't be afraid to turn the GEQ/Preset off. Part of the reason you'll get a thin bright sound out of the clean channel is because the EQ is scooping out a lot of the body and leaving you with only mud on the bottom and tin on the top, so you can either compensate by adding lots of mids and really ducking out the bass and treble or simply turning the EQ off. Both will yield very different but very useable result which should save you from that horrible top end.

Danjel said:
A little tip which I found dotted the i's for me is to lower the individual preamp masters and raise the amps master volume . The amp will saturate earlier and become "rounder" tone wise. I love it!

Just posted about this in another thread. I tried the hard bypass and adjusted the amp, not super loud, but without EQ sliders. Then re-engaged the loop and needed to increase the output knob to about 12 o'clock to match the volume. It feels so nice...as Danjel said, rounder tone, very touch sensitive...loving this. Pushing the power section is good :shock:

Also, I am currently using the Mark V with a pair of closed back, ported Ear Candy custom 1X12's, gives a nice, full sound. Of course whatever cab set-up you use will have an effect on what you hear. I love the Mark V with a big 4X12 too :mrgreen:

Hey I have been using my MkV with a Port City 2/12 Wave (cannabis rex speakers). My experience has been great. I play classic rock and blues (a a smattering of "new") rock. I have had no problems getting this combination to sling tones from early ZZTop to Dire Straits (Sultans) and more. I am using Seymore Duncans on a Parker Fly Classic. The Classic is a toppy guitar, but the MKV and Wave warm it up considerably!

I've never played the LSS...my last Boogie was long gone before 1985, but I would be hard pressed to find a more responsive/versatile combination!

I gig these two amps via a tonebone headbone switcher . The mark V is an incredible amp but for my taste the LSC still delivers the best cleans . Its comparing apples and oranges . The mark V isnt going to do exactly what the LSC does and visa versa . IMHO the LSC is one of the best mesa amps . It just delivers in spades . If you are only using mid gain types of overdrive you might already have the best amp for you . Both incredible amps . Im afraid it wont be an easy decision for you .

Back