Mark V Santana Tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pureoverdrive

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone been able to get some smooth articulate santana tones from this thing??? The clips so far seem to lack sustain! Clips welcome.

It has a Mark I in there for chrissakes. What do you think?

Everybody seems to be raving about Mark I mode. it's my mesa rep's favorite mode on the amp. I doubt it will disappoint.

No, it can't do Santana tones and it can't do metal. It sucks. Go buy a POD and make some youtube videos of it.

phyrexia said:

Everybody seems to be raving about Mark I mode. it's my mesa rep's favorite mode on the amp. I doubt it will disappoint.

This. The Mark I is more than enough to nail santana tones. I had some time with the MV Combo at Mesa Hollywood and I found myself playing this channel alot, really easy to dial in :D

Hi! Yeah, Santana had some really sweet tone. I'd like to remind everyone, though, that Santana used straight Fender amps for his first bunch of albums (3-4 of them?). There was no high gain back then. My understanding is that he didn't get his boogies until later. So if, like most people, you're a fan of his earliest work (Woodstock -> Santana III), then you're a fan of his Fender sound.

My understanding is that he got his ridiculously awesome tone from those fenders but turning them to max and the riding his guitar's volume and tone controls to get what he wanted. Mmm...and, man, did he get what he wanted. Oh, and his fingers probably had something to do with it, too. Maybe. ;)

Good luck!

Chip

phyrexia said:

I agree with this 100%. Mark I mode is just awesome, sounds like a train running you over at loud volumes!

chipaudette said:
Hi! Yeah, Santana had some really sweet tone. I'd like to remind everyone, though, that Santana used straight Fender amps for his first bunch of albums (3-4 of them?). There was no high gain back then. My understanding is that he didn't get his boogies until later. So if, like most people, you're a fan of his earliest work (Woodstock -> Santana III), then you're a fan of his Fender sound.

My understanding is that he got his ridiculously awesome tone from those fenders but turning them to max and the riding his guitar's volume and tone controls to get what he wanted.
Correct me if I am wrong, but according to Mesa Boogie's own literature Santana started using Mesa Boogie with the Abraxas album (1970), which was his second after the debut Santana (1969).

marzzz said:
chipaudette said:

My understanding is that he got his ridiculously awesome tone from those fenders but turning them to max and the riding his guitar's volume and tone controls to get what he wanted.
Correct me if I am wrong, but according to Mesa Boogie's own literature Santana started using Mesa Boogie with the Abraxas album (1970), which was his second after the debut Santana (1969).

This I believe is correct.
It sure sounds like it to me.
The early boogies were just mod Fenders.

stephen sawall said:
marzzz said:
chipaudette said:

This I believe is correct.
It sure sounds like it to me.
The early boogies were just mod Fenders.
Yes. Carlos goes back to Boogie's beginning. IIRC, the first Boogie was a Fender Princeton hot-rodded by Randall Smith in 1969 as a practical joke on Country Joe & the Fish guitrist Barry Melton. A relative of Carlos heard it and alerted him. Carlos, upon demoing the amp commented how this little amp really boogied; thus began the name and his involvement.

When Santana seemed to be getting along OK with Mesa Boogie, he said that he started using his Mark I in Abraxas.

Now that he seems to be criticizing Mesa, he says that he recorded his first 2 albums (so this includes Abraxas) with a Twin Reverb.

Probably the truth is that in Abraxas, he used BOTH the Twin Reverb and the Mark I.
Regards

Latest posts

Back