Mark V - Is it easier to dial in/keep dialed in than the IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I tried a Mark V when it first came out. Decided it wasn't for me and then moved on.
At the time, I wasn't playing in a band though and had no real need for another 100 watt amp.

Now.....
I need something extremely versatile, but easy to dial in and easy to keep the same tones once I find them.
In the past, I have owned 2 Mark IV's. While I loved them, I found that there was no way to keep the same tone night after night. I could leave the amp in our practice space, plugged into the same plug, and keep the same settings....the sound would always change!

So......
Here are my needs:

Stellar cleans
Great reverb
Great medium gain overdrive tones
Sick lead and metal-ish rhythm tones
No lag or popping when channel switching (otherwise I would still own the Roadster)
Reliable tones - the same every time I set the knobs to the sounds I like

Any opinions?

I just sold my Express 5:25. I loved the tones, but the 1x10 and the 25 watts just weren't enough to keep up with my band.
I just sold my Maverick. I loved the tones, but the lead channel was lacking and just didn't fit the band.

Our songs are a mixture of the following influences:
Rush
Santana (especially the Supernatural and Brothers tones)
Incubus
Early Maiden
Zappa

I should also mention that I am only considering the 1x12 combo. I know that I would have an easier time getting heavier tones out of a cab and head, but space on most stages here just won't permit it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Other amps I am considering would be Rivera Knucklehead Reverb 3 channel.

Monsta-Tone said:
I tried a Mark V when it first came out. Decided it wasn't for me and then moved on.
At the time, I wasn't playing in a band though and had no real need for another 100 watt amp.

Now.....
I need something extremely versatile, but easy to dial in and easy to keep the same tones once I find them.
In the past, I have owned 2 Mark IV's. While I loved them, I found that there was no way to keep the same tone night after night. I could leave the amp in our practice space, plugged into the same plug, and keep the same settings....the sound would always change!

One trick I learned over time with Mesas (particularly Marks) is to not tweak settings for the first 20 minutes of play time.

There has been many times that I'd start up the amp, play a few notes, hate the sound and start tweaking. Then, by the end of an hour long playing session I'd find the knobs back at the original settings.

I think the Mark V will work great for all of the points listed. I've been using my 1x12 combo for about three months now in a 5 piece hard rock/metal band.
While the combo is very portable, I find it lacking to attain the right stage power. Sure the soundguy can make it sound good out front, for me, the stage power has to be there. I now run the combo through a Mesa 4x12. Problem solved.

I know what you mean about the same settings sounding different the next time.
To my ears, the Mark V does not do that. I play it every Friday at practice, and the same tone is always there.
My only complaint is channel 3. I can either dial in great rhythm tone, or a great lead tone. Sure I can use the solo boost for leads, an I do, but it would be nice to footswitch between Mark IIC & Mark IV. I have used the Mark I setting for a lead tone, but then medium tones are sacrificed.
As long as the knobs don't get bumped (and they are very stiff), then the tone is consistent.

I say buy one before they quit making them and the price goes even higher!

I've owned a Mark IV since about the 2nd year it was introduced -- and my settings have stayed pretty much the same. The only changes I make, based on room size / dynamics is adjust between tweed, full power, class A simul-class, harmonics / Mids.....other than that, the controls are pretty much the same.

What I found was the biggest impact to the way my Mark sounded was the variation in AC power.

The Roadster shouldn't pop once you've cycled through all the channels in standby mode. Also, the lag can be countered by leaving the reverb switch on but the knob turned all the way off...

I think the IV is rather consistent and I had no problem dialing it in. I did come from the rectifiers though, and those are difficult to find the sweet spot. Within a few days of owning my IV, I was pretty close to what are now my "go to" settings.

Every Mark IV I have played pretty much offered up the "goods" right away. You can tweak all nighjt but it's tough to get a bad sound in my experience.

Latest posts

Back