Mark V head or combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamtheaterrules

Reaction score
Looking into the Mark V for purchase in the near future. I've had heads and combos before so I'm aware of the advantages/disadvantages of each. Just looking for some feedback on preferences here, and reasons for those preferences. Combo gets me a Black Shadow, which should be more neutral for all the different modes/tones. If I got a head, I'd probably have to buy a 2x12 Recto cab, which means 2 V30s. This should be great with the higher gain tones but also makes for an overall bigger rig. (Although, I'm looking at a 1x12 Trans Atlantic cab for my TA15 and that could cover me with a MV head).

Just wondering how the combo does with cab vibration, tones compared to head/cab, etc. NORMALLY, I'd prefer a head/cab, but I really like the combo Mark V for some reason. Usually more speakers equals "bigger" sound, but I have always loved the Mesa Boogie 1x12 "Mark" combos.

Thoughts? Preferences?

Like most (all?) Mesa combos, that Mark V is fairly heavy coming in at 65 lbs.

I'm not a huge fan of the Black Shadow (a bit too dark for my taste), and am a huge fan of the V30 (midrange is good!). Don't discount the V30 for lower gain and clean tones; you know I'm not a high gain player, and I'm really happy with what the V30 gives me in any tone configuration.

Personally, I'd go with the head because then you have the option of using different cabs which you can also do by adding an extension to the combo, blah blah blah; like you said you know the ins and outs and pros and cons of each. I think a Mark V head with a 1x12 Boogie Thiele cab fitted with an EVM 12L would be absolutely killer, offering a balanced load for easy carrying, and the EVM is able to work in just about any application as well as being capable of handling the 90W of the Mark V.

Bottom line, combo or head, it's gonna be awesome!

Um, isn't this sort of the wrong place for this discussion, there's a Mark V sub-forum you know... :?

KiwiJoe said:
Like most (all?) Mesa combos, that Mark V is fairly heavy coming in at 65 lbs.

Yeah, it's definitely heavier than it looks like. Manageable, though, thanks to the casters, as long as you don't have to carry it up the stairs to the fourth floor like I once did.
Of course the Roadster and Road King combos are even heavier. Much heavier, esp. the 2x12 ones. (A Road King head alone weighs about as much as the Mark V combo - the main reason I don't have one.) 8)

KiwiJoe said:
I'm not a huge fan of the Black Shadow (a bit too dark for my taste), and am a huge fan of the V30 (midrange is good!). Don't discount the V30 for lower gain and clean tones; you know I'm not a high gain player, and I'm really happy with what the V30 gives me in any tone configuration.

Another V30 lover here, so I heartily second the recommendation!
I wouldn't necessarily call the C90 Black Shadow 'dark', though - one of my biggest problems with the stock C90 in a MkV combo is that it has this shrill, harsh, piercing high frequency that you have to dial out or remediate with other means, like using EL34s instead of the stock 6L6s. Otherwise, the high end of your Mark V channel 3 will be murder on your ears and the related controls (Presence, Bright switch, EQ high frequencies) will be pretty much unusable with the standard C90 combo speaker.

Incidentally, I've just swapped out the stock C90 from my Mark V combo. In went a V30. Initial impressions very good, but I haven't had the time for a more thorough playtest (all channels and modes) yet.

KiwiJoe said:
Personally, I'd go with the head because then you have the option of using different cabs which you can also do by adding an extension to the combo, blah blah blah;

Yes. In general, when you are unsure whether you want the combo or the head, it is safer to take the head version. Even if you would always use the combo speaker, a head + separate 1x12 cab will be somewhat easier to move around if you ever go to a band rehearsal or gig with it.

I bought the combo because at the moment that made the most sense to me (I was replacing another combo with it) and over the years, I've always thought of the Mark series as the ultimate combo amp. But if I didn't have one and were buying a Mark V now, I would get a head.

KiwiJoe said:
Bottom line, combo or head, it's gonna be awesome!

Agreed.

Um, isn't this sort of the wrong place for this discussion, there's a Mark V sub-forum you know... :?

Well, I'm new here, but the only "Mark" sub-forum I see is in the classic amps, before 1991 section. If there is another one, I can't seem to find it. Show me where it is and I'll ask a MOD to move the thread.

I like the Head/ Thiele Cab-EVM idea!

Edit. I was clicking directly on "Rectifier Series" sub forum from the home page because "mark V" is not listed there as a sub forum. If you click on "Modern Era Amps" and open it that way, I DO see the sub forum. Sorry for the hassle.

How do I get a mod to move this?

LOL.... NOT in the main screen view it isn't. I've come to this forum in Firefox and mainly in Chrome, and on my laptop, iPad and Nexus 7. Here is what I see if you don't click on the HEADING for Modern Era amps. If you DO that it opens the sub forums and you see the Mark V listed, but if you don't it shows all the others and that's how I've always gone into the threads. Prior to today, from this screen below I'd click on Rectifier or Atlantic series or whatever threads I wanted. From this screen there is no Mark V sub forum listed.

BoogieBoard2_zpsba34da05.jpg

Latest posts

Back