Mark v Dies for no reason

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnlively

Reaction score
HI
I played my MK V at church on a sunday evening. Came back the next week on Sunday morning and the amp MK V is dead.

The amp acts like it has no in put , every thin turns on and lights up but no sound. I have replaced pre amp and power tubes.
Still nothing. Even worse the closest service center is 120 miles away.

Any thoughts

Neal

well found it
I started replacing the pre amp tubes one at atime 9(for the third time)

I found a bad pre amp tube

I will gladly take a bad tube, than not having the amp for a month and driving 240 miles round trip twice.

thank you lord

Neal

Cool beans... I have never had any problems with mine, but every time somebody posts with a Mark V problem it makes me pause for a minute. Fortunately, every problem so far that I have heard about has been tube related, except for a footswitch cable that was junk for one owner.

I had the same problem. Try this:

Make sure your switch in the back is set to "footswitch", and make VERY sure that the footswitch cable is nice and snug into all jacks.

Now, turn the amp on and leave it on stand by for a minute or two like you usually would and then give it full power. If there is still no sound, tap the EQ button on the footswitch a couple times.

My amp was doing the same thing. It would light up, and the footswitch would even change channels. There was simply no sound. And for whatever reason, if I tap the EQ button on the footswitch.........boom, there was sound.

May be a shot in the dark, but it might work........

EDIT: Dude, I'm an idiot. Didn't notice above you had fixed it :lol: :lol: :lol:

This happened to me too!! On Saturday night - second time gigging with the amp - twice during the show it died. All lights were on but no sound. I had to turn off the amp and couple of times before it started working again. Very frustrating.

Would a bad pre-amp tube make it cut out completely? I thought that could only be the case with a bad power amp tube???

Sounds like a bad run of footswitches. Anybody letting MESA know about the issues? I feel pretty certain they would start an 8D quality project on this problem if they knew it was happening this regularly.

My Mark V had 3 or 4 preamp tubes that were borderline when I got it. Same with the '08 road king we had hanging around for a while. I think Mesa had a bad batch of tubes.

Latest posts

Back