MARK V COMBO...closed or open back?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, given the statements in other threads that the purpose-built cabs that match the head will be closed-back designs. I wonder what the rationale is for the different approaches; I'd have thought that Mesa would consider there to be a baseline optimum or perhaps signature sound to be had from one configuration or the other.

GmanJeff said:
Interesting, given the statements in other threads that the purpose-built cabs that match the head will be closed-back designs. I wonder what the rationale is for the different approaches; I'd have thought that Mesa would consider there to be a baseline optimum or perhaps signature sound to be had from one configuration or the other.

The old "compact mesa stack" was a compact 1x12 and a thiele. They can't fit the Mark V in a short chassis, so it has to go in a widebody cab. This keeps everybody who wants a ported 1x12 from using Thieles, and so they made the widebody front ported cab as a sort of thiele replacement (although it is not a thiele.)

There is not really going to be a 'purpose built' Mark V cab. It's the same size as the 22" widebody stuff so you could use a number of cabinets with the V.

I called Mesa yesterday and they said that they are releasing a *new* "widebody front-ported cabinet along with the Mark V". When I asked "Like a Thiele?" he replied "Exactly!" - yes, with that exclamation point.
He said the price is $469 for the cab. I should have asked what speaker was in it. I also asked about weights and he didn't have any info.

A side note, the extra outcharges for custom finish options are $349 and $449 per unit. (I can't recall, I think that's for custom leather and then for custom wood).

He also said it'll be another 6 to 8 weeks before shipping.

Dave

phyrexia said:
GmanJeff said:

The old "compact mesa stack" was a compact 1x12 and a thiele. They can't fit the Mark V in a short chassis, so it has to go in a widebody cab. This keeps everybody who wants a ported 1x12 from using Thieles, and so they made the widebody front ported cab as a sort of thiele replacement (although it is not a thiele.)

There is not really going to be a 'purpose built' Mark V cab. It's the same size as the 22" widebody stuff so you could use a number of cabinets with the V.

What part of that did I not cover? It has a C90, we've all known it was $469 since the price list was released. This cabinet is not a thiele but it is front ported and closed back "like a thiele".

Your custom shop stuff is missing information too but everybody knows how to read a price list.

DaveDaveDave said:
I called Mesa yesterday and they said that they are releasing a *new* "widebody front-ported cabinet along with the Mark V". When I asked "Like a Thiele?" he replied "Exactly!" - yes, with that exclamation point.
He said the price is $469 for the cab. I should have asked what speaker was in it. I also asked about weights and he didn't have any info.

A side note, the extra outcharges for custom finish options are $349 and $449 per unit. (I can't recall, I think that's for custom leather and then for custom wood).

He also said it'll be another 6 to 8 weeks before shipping.

Dave

The original question was whether or not the Combos would be open or closed back... there seems to be some tension building becasue there are multiple topics being discussed.

Mark V Combo: open back
Mark V Stand Alone Cabs: plenty of options for each

Latest posts

Back