Mark IVc+!!!!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random Hero said:
That's weird. A front panel, B back panel.

I'm guessing that's a very, very early B.

i have IV-006677 and its the same way.
transition period i guess.
you know boogie and their thrifty nature...always using up the last of the parts in stock before they start the new stuff.

I admit being very skeptical about any so-called metallica mod. listen to anything off the black album, those boys use a good bit of gain, but not any more than is already available on tap in the IIC+, III, or IV. so it seems strange that there would be a mod to give them more gain. also note that if said metallica mod does exist, and was performed for james but mike b, mike isn't saying anything about it. perhaps someone should call mike b about this particular amp and see if you can strongarm him into giving up the secret already, but I dont know.

Schmoog said:
I admit being very skeptical about any so-called metallica mod. listen to anything off the black album, those boys use a good bit of gain, but not any more than is already available on tap in the IIC+, III, or IV. so it seems strange that there would be a mod to give them more gain. also note that if said metallica mod does exist, and was performed for james but mike b, mike isn't saying anything about it. perhaps someone should call mike b about this particular amp and see if you can strongarm him into giving up the secret already, but I dont know.

I know I was!

The guy just would say it was internal modding. Wouldn't elaborate. I imagine Mike B would have put his initials on it or something if he Metallica Modded it.

Not sure but I passed on it.

gotta love the rust on the trannies too. but that adds to the tone! it was put there by mark snyder himself as part of the metallica mod!

Schmoog said:

That mod is certainly not a myth. Hetfield and Petrucci have had their IIC+ and MarkIVs modded (I don't think JP has ever had his IV's modded though). Petrucci has had the "Hetfield mod" done to his earlier IIC+'s too and has had a 2nd Vol1 installed for the lead channel. In the 80s and early 90s Mark Snyder performed these mods for a handful of his customer's IIC+'s and possibly MarkIV's (not 100% sure about this one)

The Metallica "Hetfield" mod isn't really about more preamp gain. What it does is basically push the output tubes a little harder. Means you start getting power tube clipping @ lower volume, that's all. It also gives a more aggressive bass response without mucking up what's already a bass monster .

There are ways of squeezing more usable preamp gain on the IIC+/MkIII/MkIV circuits, they can sound anywhere from a nice transparent boost upto total bzzzzzt-fest that any Recto fan will no doubt salivate over.

Concerning this particular MarkIV, I would have to see the guts to verify if it's had any work done to it.

Schmoog said:
gotta love the rust on the trannies too. but that adds to the tone! it was put there by mark snyder himself as part of the metallica mod!

Hahaha the Metallica "rust" mod :D

Funny thing is, electrical currents circulate inside the iron core of transformers and because iron is conductive it shorts out these eddy currents which is then manifested as a loss of power through heat. But rust doesn't conduct electric current, so it reduces the loss! Provided the windings and paper inside the transformer don't get screwed up because of moisture, rust is good!!!

Transformers are pretty hardcore pieces of engineering, and unless the rust looks REALLY bad, and I mean like it looks like it's oozing from gaps in the iron, it won't be a huge issue for a few years at least, apart from the unpleasant aesthetics. It sure makes an amp look like **** though.

adrenaline junkie said:
Mike B told the guy I bought my last MKIIC from that the Metallica amps are a MKIIC++ Not sure what the hell that is, but that's what he said.

You'll find that Petrucci, Hetfield, Snyder AND Bendinelli have all spoken about these IIC+ mods, both Mike B and JP have referred to a couple of JP's IIC+'s as a "IIC++" on grounds of having a 2nd Vol1 and what we'll call the "Hetfield mod". No myth here.

Latest posts

Back