Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgMetal_Lover

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a used Mark IV(rather have a Mark V but out of the question right now),I'm going to be using this when I start learning guitar for heavy metal/progressive metal. I am very late to the game but have been wanting to do this for a long time now(doubt if I will ever be in a band but you never know)? I'm sure some of you use it for metal....

Nah, they're terrible for metal. Get a fender princeton reissue - that's what all the metal kids are using these days.

I kid.

Go for it! The almighty IV has it all - it'll go all the way from surf twang to headbanging without even sweating.

I've been happy with mine for over 21 years! It takes some patience but once you learn how to dial it in you can do almost anything with it. Happy hunting!

I would have to say that a Mark IV would be my choice if I were just starting out, you can get good sounds at low volume, but remember a Boogie Mark anything is much more musical than a regular amp so there is a learning curve. Don't be discouraged if you don't like the sound at first. I say this because when I brought home my Mk. IV, I instantly loved it, so I called the guy who previously owned it and asked why he sold it and he said it was hard to get a good sound because every time he turned one knob it changed the dynamic and felt he needed to turn another knob to compensate. He's right. On a regular amp, the sound sometimes barely changes when you twist a knob, one size fits all. A lot of amps, if you turn all the tone knobs down, there is no sound at all, I get the concept because for years I dealt with it, turn them all to 10!. With a Boogie, sometimes it is best to run the bass at 0, I know some players who swear by that, so give it a try if you play metal. As far as Mark amps being too heavy, I just picked up a Road Ready 4 X 12 EV cab, now that's heavy, but it is going with me despite the weight (gotta be 150 lb.s) because I want to shine and you'll be able to join that band eventually with that amp as your best friend forever.

My Mark IV is not quite as sensitive to knob movement as others that I have heard. For example, I can turn the lead channel treble knob from 4 to 6 and not see as dynamic a change as others seem to see. But, I do find that the GEQ can be very sensitive in how it responds.

Having said all of that, my Mark IV is the best amp that I have ever owned. While my LP sounds decent through it, my SG is my guitar of choice.

Channel 1 with the SG gives me some of the best clean tones that I have ever played. I keep bass set arount 7, treble around 6, and mids around 3. I don't use the GEQ on channel 1. And, turning up the gain gives me a breakup that I can control with my pic attack.

For channel 2, I have to pretty much swap settings for the mids and bass. I keep the gain for channel 2 on around 8 and the treble pretty much around 9. With my bridge pickup on the SG, this gives me a really good rhythm tone that is still articulate enough to allow some lead runs.

Channel 3 is where the magic happens. I like using both pickups, with the tone for the bridge pickup turned all the way down, and the tone for the neck pickup turned all the way up. I know it sounds weird, but I get the thickest, nicest lead tones out of that. Plus, when I play lead and pic on the neck itself, it gives some very cool tones.

The Mark IV is heavy. But, mine has side handles. Makes it very nice to pick up.

I don't play metal, so I can't speak for it. But, my Mark IV can handle anything else that I need it to do.

Like I said earlier, best amp I have ever owned.

You couldn't have picked a better amp for a plethora of sounds from Jazz to metal! This amp can do it all! Just an eq learning curve and patience and you're ready to go!

Either the IV or V will be a can't go wrong choice! The IV will be more affordable! I have both and love em!

Way off topic here but I have a question for you guys that don't play metal. Why did you pick a Mark? A Fender does channel 1 better and a Marshall does channel 2 better. Me, I'm a trash guy so I've gravitated towards Marks ever since I heard Hetfield back in the late 80's. But if I wasn't playing metal I'd switch to either a Twin or an 800. So why do you play a Mark? I don't feel the magic until I'm in channel 3 with the graphic.

SonVolt said:
Way off topic here but I have a question for you guys that don't play metal. Why did you pick a Mark? A Fender does channel 1 better and a Marshall does channel 2 better. Me, I'm a trash guy so I've gravitated towards Marks ever since I heard Hetfield back in the late 80's. But if I wasn't playing metal I'd switch to either a Twin or an 800. So why do you play a Mark? I don't feel the magic until I'm in channel 3 with the graphic.

Versatility my boy - versatility.

I've covered many genres of music with this thing; from quiet and sweet to LOUD and in your face.

YMMV

MKIV is great for one more reason: if you learn how to set it up, any other amp is for you easy to set up, because most of them have much less options than MKIV :)

SonVolt said:
Fender may do a better Fender clean, but a Mark IV has its own clean, and it can "that sound" at very low volumes. I always preferred R2 for clean, until I recently discovered how great R1 is with Gain at 10. Articulate with just right amount of edge, portrays a truer "voice" of the instrument, and plenty of thump. Takes pedals well too. I think I'm off R2, for a while at least. Lead channel needs no explanation. Everytime I'm convinced I don't need this amp it reminds me I do!

topcat0399 said:
SonVolt said:

Versatility my boy - versatility.

I've covered many genres of music with this thing; from quiet and sweet to LOUD and in your face.

YMMV

+1

Plus that lead channel is so tight without the use of any pedals

Latest posts

Back