Mark IV Short Head Case

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Fore

Reaction score
I'm calling Mesa tomorrow, but wanted to check and see if anyone knows whether or not Mesa still makes head cases for Mark IV's... in other words, if I wanted to convert a combo into a head, the wood/tolex case that goes around it. I'm not interested in a non-Mesa made head case just to clarify. Thanks!

Thanks man. I appreciate the response. I'm thinking of going red croc with black front plate and Mesa/Boogie logo badge.

I ordered a Mark IV short head shell direct from Mesa about four weeks ago. I was quoted four to six weeks for the shell, but it arrived in one week! I ordered orange bronco, tan grille, tan corners and tan leather handle. Once that was finished I ordered a new wine red headshell for my DC-2. Once again, I was quoted four to six weeks and it arrived in just a little over a week.

This is what it cost me:
Short Head w/Standard Black Taurus (no reverb)- $249
Reverb and fan installed - $59
Custom Tolex - $179

If you are considering this, it is easier (in my opinion) to pay the extra $59 and have them install the reverb and fan. You can specify what logo, corners, and handle you want. I had the vintage Mark I logo installed on both of mine. I will try to post some pics soon.

MarkofXlnts said:
I ordered a Mark IV short head shell direct from Mesa about four weeks ago. I was quoted four to six weeks for the shell, but it arrived in one week! I ordered orange bronco, tan grille, tan corners and tan leather handle. Once that was finished I ordered a new wine red headshell for my DC-2. Once again, I was quoted four to six weeks and it arrived in just a little over a week.

This is what it cost me:
Short Head w/Standard Black Taurus (no reverb)- $249
Reverb and fan installed - $59
Custom Tolex - $179

If you are considering this, it is easier (in my opinion) to pay the extra $59 and have them install the reverb and fan. You can specify what logo, corners, and handle you want. I had the vintage Mark I logo installed on both of mine. I will try to post some pics soon.

Wow that's fast. I live in Belgium and I ordered a standard Mark IV headshell, no fan, no reverb. I was quoted 4 months and eventually it arrived in 9 months. It cost me 500 euro and if I wanted one with a custom tolex and grille it would have been 800 euro.

Or you can ask forum member GTS to make one for you, his work is excellent. This is what he made for me.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=28942

Hey MarkofXlnts,

The $59 for the fan and reverb install, I'm assuming that wouldn't include the reverb tank and fan itself correct? Did you have to send those in to Mesa so they could install them in the shell? I'm pretty sure of what your answer will be, but I just want to make sure. Thanks again for the info.

Mark Fore,

The $59 did include a new fan and reverb tank. The headshells come without either, and you have to pay an extra $59 to have the fan and reverb tank installed. Just to be clear, the $59 gets you a new fan and a new reverb tank, all installed. I was going to order the shell without the fan and reverb tank, but decided to spend the extra $59 to get them both new and installed. They charged me slightly less for the DC-2 shell, probably because it does not have a fan. In my opinion, money well spent and it made things a little easier. I ordered both headshells direct (DC-2 and Mark IV) from Mike Taylor at Mesa.

Mark Fore,

Here are some pics of my new headshells.

Pqo2ROr.jpg
Pqo38gr.jpg

I got a call from the store after they talked to Mesa. If I want to get the short head shell with fan and Red Croc embossed leather it will be $787... yes, $787.00. I laughed at first and then thought, I've done this a few times and settled for the standard black and then regretted it after. I agreed to get the Red Croc at the $479 upcharge. I also am asking for the fron panel to be Red Croc too. I think that would look pretty cool.

The thing that doesn't make sense, but is a blanket policy, is the $479 embossed leather upcharge. I think it is the same whether you get a 2x12 cab or a short head. It's my luck that I'm getting the smallest thing they make in embossed leather instead of the biggest so I could get my money's worth. Oh well, you only live once and it will look great when I get it.

Latest posts

Back