Mark Iv Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Reaction score
I know this it going to sound stupid but the mark 4 amp is mainly a high gain metal amp right? There's not much SRV or classic rock tone like , ZZ top, black crow's, aerosmith, skynyrd , ac/dc. and some rockabilly country?
Thanks

Mark IVs can do everything from jazz to hard metal with aplomb. They're one of the most versatile amps on the market.

Couple the mark IV with a good OD pedal and you can do even more. The only downside to the Mark IV is that it seems to have too much at times where 2 seperate channels would be great on their own but I personally love that it has 3 channels that all sound different.

Greg

I don't play any metal on my MK IV. It's not a recto... :lol:

I am a blues/jazz/classic rock/rockabilly guy. I play a strat a tele and a Gibson hollow body through it. It does great Freddie King, B. B. King or Clapton tones. But it'll do Hendrix and SRV or Allaman's and Santana.

It'll do that stuff OK, but I think for what you're wanting you'd be better off with a different amp. Something like the Stiletto or a Marshall with EL34's.

I think my Mark IIC does a better job of gettting those tones than the Mark IV. The IV is great and covers more ground, but it has more of a modern voice. The older C has a great classic rock voicing that's perfect for that music. Growling, bright and tight...very expressive, and enough pull switches to satisfy the tweaker in me! One of the biggest differences I notice about the older amps is the guitar volume and tone controls seem to exert more influence over the sound. I find this less so with the newer Mesas...though it could be me.

dodger916 said:
I think my Mark IIC does a better job of gettting those tones than the Mark IV. The IV is great and covers more ground, but it has more of a modern voice. The older C has a great classic rock voicing that's perfect for that music. Growling, bright and tight...very expressive, and enough pull switches to satisfy the tweaker in me! One of the biggest differences I notice about the older amps is the guitar volume and tone controls seem to exert more influence over the sound. I find this less so with the newer Mesas...though it could be me.

I definitely agree, it takes pedals in the clean channel better too IMHO.

Well, I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read any of that :lol:

Cause I can't afford another Mesa! And my wife would string me up by the... well, you know how that goes...

Although I will say the love I hear around here (and elsewhere) for the IIc makes me curiouser and curiouser.... No, don't go there... don't go there...

As for EL34's I guess it depends on what classic rock you want to play. I don't really care for Marshall Amps. I know it was the rage when I was younger, but I really like the more 'Fendery' sound and always have.

But I also really play very clean tones. I end up really having to push myself to get dirty... Yeah, I am a little AR.... but that's a good thing, right?

I guess I may be missing something too when you talk about a 'modern voice'. I would say the Recto's have a more modern voice, and while there is massive amounts of gain available with my MK IV, It's not the sound I think of when it comes to the modern heavy metal sound. Is that what we're talking about by modern voicing?

I don't mean to question anyone's opinion but my own here! I'm truly new to really exploring amps and stuff. I bought my Mesa a long time ago and have and am still quite happy with the sounds I get from it, but I'm interested to find out what others opinions are!

Thanks everyone,

I never use aplomb.
Maybe an apple or an orange, occasionally a banana, but never aplomb.

Axis39 said:
Well, I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read any of that :lol:

Cause I can't afford another Mesa! And my wife would string me up by the... well, you know how that goes...

Although I will say the love I hear around here (and elsewhere) for the IIc makes me curiouser and curiouser.... No, don't go there... don't go there...

As for EL34's I guess it depends on what classic rock you want to play. I don't really care for Marshall Amps. I know it was the rage when I was younger, but I really like the more 'Fendery' sound and always have.

But I also really play very clean tones. I end up really having to push myself to get dirty... Yeah, I am a little AR.... but that's a good thing, right?

I guess I may be missing something too when you talk about a 'modern voice'. I would say the Recto's have a more modern voice, and while there is massive amounts of gain available with my MK IV, It's not the sound I think of when it comes to the modern heavy metal sound. Is that what we're talking about by modern voicing?

I don't mean to question anyone's opinion but my own here! I'm truly new to really exploring amps and stuff. I bought my Mesa a long time ago and have and am still quite happy with the sounds I get from it, but I'm interested to find out what others opinions are!

Thanks everyone,

To me the older Marks sound more organic. It's kinda like this: new Mustangs are probably "better" in all ways that can be measured - acceleration, braking, handling, ergos. etc.. But there's a feeling you get when driving an original 60's model that the new ones don't capture. (In truth, some of these "feelings" are probably best omitted, like old Norton Commandos that loosen your fillings!) Some people prefer older homes that posess "character" while some will only buy new houses. It's a personal preference that's difficult to explain. "Organic" sums it up best for me.

MrMarkIII said:
I never use aplomb.
dont act stupid. aplomb is not a fruit, its what you do to fix your kitchen sink :lol:

fatoni said:
MrMarkIII said:
I never use aplomb.
dont act stupid. aplomb is not a fruit, its what you do to fix your kitchen sink :lol:
Sorry, I thought that was a plomb-er. They charge too much to come out on the weekends.
"Call Mesa-Boogie, that's the name...
And away go troubles, down the drain...!"

Every Mesa I've played does whatever I've wanted it to do. I used a Mark IV for jazz, blues, hard rock, metal, pop, country, and industrial. Same with the Dual Recto, Quad, Maverick, Mark III, and ToV. Each model has a different voice, but they are so broad that you can get any of them to the extremes of styles.

I was waiting to see how long it took for you guys to jump on aplomb, hah hah. I only play metal on my Mark IV when I'm by myself. I play in a classic rock and blues band and I spend most of my time on rhy2. I use clean for well cleans and lead for leads and some harder edged stuff but the vast majority of my time is spent on rhy2. I should also state that I have JJ6l6s and Svetlana EL-34s. I switch back and forth between class A and simulclass and I run my masters and output both at around 5 or so.

Back to the question is this mainly used for high gain music? From reading on this site and the clips i here are mostly metal, I'm very intersted in trying one of the IV out but maybe the mark III might suite me better?? I don't play allot of metal so the gain might be over the top, I do play classic rock from 70's 80's 90's. My other question I'm looking for a combo markIV if I decide to get one what is there going price for a used one in good condtion
Thanks again

its not a metal amp but its low end tightness and pronounced midrange make it so if you do play metal, another guitarist is likely to be frustrated because youll be heard at a much lower volume because of the amps tone range. it does everything i ask of it so just buy one and if it doesnt work out...sell it. you wont loose any money and you wont be left wondering either. best thing i ever did

If you decide to go with a Mark IV, my advice is to buy a head, not a combo. I have a mkiv 1X12 short combo that I will probably end up buying a head shell for because it is SO heavy. And, honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the single 12" EV black shadow sound. Every cabinet I've tried with it sounds better than the combo speaker.

As far as the mkiv being only a metal amp - I disagree. It has LOTS of great clean tones, especially with R1 gain low and pulled (bright) and the GEQ off. The things I find hard for it to do are crisp "in-between" tones like ISIS gets on their newer albums from VHT pitbulls. I'm still searching for a high-power MILD distortion without the mid-cut...not sure how to do it with the mkiv.

The Mark IV can handle blues and classic rock just fine. I opted to put 5881 6L6 tubes which really helped me get that classic blues tone from the amp. You certainly won't be disappointed with the Mark IV's versatility.

That said, you might also want to consider the Lonestar.

- Jason

I use my Mark IV for country/rockabilly/blues/classic rock and it works fine for all of them. It is quite a versatile amp.

With that said.. I did spend a LOT more time tweaking this amp than I ever spent on any other before finding my voice on it.

Back