Mark IV or Stiletto Ace?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petruccirocks02

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 1991 Mark IV Short Head. The other day I got to try out a Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo but didn't really get to crank it. I guess my question is what would you choose? I play mostly DT type stuff, but I used to own a Dual Rec 2 Channel and it wasn't really my thing. If the Stiletto Ace is cranked can it get a really tight, heavy distortion ala, say Pull Me Under or The Root Of All Evil. I'm just curious because I'm thinking about selling my Mark IV and getting the Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo. Also, the Ace 1x12 could be hooked up to a 2x12 or 4x12 right? Thanks for all the help in advance, and if anyone has any awesome settings for the Ace to get a smooth Petrucci like lead tone or Petrucci type rhythm sound please let me know so I can try them out next time at the music store. Thanks again.

-Phil

Hey Phil,

Keep the Mark IV....

Just go plug in for a while and play. You already have the right amp. JP's tone is Mark tone.

I don't know...I think I'll have to go back to the music store and really crank the Stiletto to see how it sounds at a loud volume. I really want one, not to mention that my musical tastes have changed quite a bit lately. I'm not looking to get JP's exact tone, I'm more into getting my own sound but I just want that heavy, clean sounding rhythm tone. I don't only play prog rock, and metal, but also U2 songs and stuff like that which is another reason I was considering the Stiletto Ace. Russ, I'll def. keep you posted about the amp, cuz I'll more than likely take you up on that offer. Thanks for the replies.

-Phil

I really like the stilletto ace and hope to get one soon, but I will not sell my Mark IV! It truly is THE amp bar none. I love my Roadster too, but the Roadster will go before the Mark IV. Just play it with 6V6's or with 6l6's in the class A triode mode... Awesome...

the mark IV is the most versatile amp out there.. it really is...maybe , if you don't already.. spend more time with the mark IV, petruccis rig is made up of mark IIC+ and mark IVs.. from my understanding petrucci used the Quad preamp, the mark IIC+ and mark IV for the Pull me under tone and the Root of all evil sounds the same.. if you have an earlier mark IV it's probably the mark IV A and you can deffintaly get close to the petrucci tone... so like i said, spend more time tweeking the amp, maybe it's your guitar ? what kind of guitar do you play?

I use an ESP KH2 with an EMG 81/60, but my other guitar is an Ibanez RG1527 with a D Sonic in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. Thats my main guitar. Maybe I'll just sell my KH2 and get a Stiletto Ace and have both. LOL.

I think maybe an 89 would be better for the neck. Just my thoughts though. What do I know though? I have only been playing since the 80's... For Hammett's stuff you want an 81 or an 89 in the neck. For Het's licks you might want a 60 if not use the 81 but you want it in a neckthrough fixed bridge flatbodied mahogany guitar (hmmmm.... explorer or v maybe? sg will do it but it will just be a little crispier around the edges) Enuff said...

I def. agree Russ. The neck pup in my KH2 used to be an 81, but I swapped it out for the 60 because I liked the 60 for clean tones better than the 81. I think the 60 sounds pretty good for solos in the neck position. I've tried a whole bunch of pickups in my KH2, but I think the 81/60 combo works the best for me. I found that the 85 in the bridge was pretty badass too. Definitely adds alot of balls to the sound. Mesa, to answer your question about how the 60 sounds: I'm quite happy with it. Great clean tones and great solo tones in the neck position. Its got a really rounded out tone with I really like being that my KH2 kinda sounds bright because of the alder. Its not really debauchery because the EMG's have the quick connect, so its not like its in there permanently. LOL. I could always put the 81 back in, I just feel more comfortable with the 60.

Back