mark iv open tone (less tight)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeppman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not that I don't like the tightness of the mark iv, but what would you recommend (settings, pedals) to open up the tone of the amp a little more. I'm thinking a loose, sloppy, bluesy feel almost. Unless I'm describing it wrong, but I heard Walter Trout uses a mark iv, and just saw/heard him on youtube for the first time the other day. I know 90% of tone is in the fingers, but any suggestions (without flaming) would be appreciated.

I went to a Roadster from a Mark IV because I found it to be too tight. Great for rhythms, but too tight and restrictive for my playing style for leads. The Roadster scorches with my leads now! Tone is in the ear of the beholder I guess...

As for a way to loosen up your tone - a fuzz pedal might help get the breakup that you are looking for...

Also, are you using 2 EL34's in the outer sockets or 4 6L6's?

I'll give that a try. I thought more gain would cause more compression and more bass would just add flub to the mark iv?

more bass on the GEQ will translate into THUNDER. :) More gain will make the GEQ less effective... be easy on the bass knob though coz it WILL cause flub...

Walter does some amazing stuff. I found this at bluesquest. Seems hard to believe but here it is. Master at 4 or higher with R2 and tweed sounds sweet. The just on the verge of breakup sounds the best to me. But I don't own a strat either though. :D

BluesQuest.com: What kind of gear are you using these days?

Walter: I play through a Mesa Boogie and I leave it on the lead channel. And with the suggested settings that come with the Boogie, I have it set for "death metal," but I control the amount of overdrive with the volume knob on the guitar. If you want to play clean, put the guitar up to about two and you'll get a big, fat, beefy clean sound. And anywhere between two and 10 you can actually control the amount of overdrive you're getting, just using that one channel. So what I'm doing with my baby finger [adjusting the guitar's volume control] is almost as important as what I'm playing. My baby finger is moving all the time. I go through a lot of volume pots.

BluesQuest.com: That knob - on the guitar you've been using for years - actually says "Tone" on it, but it's your volume knob?

Walter: The reason being the volume knob is right here where the tone knob should be. That's the original volume knob that came on the guitar when I bought it 27 years ago, new, when the guitar was pure white. It's worn out. It got used so much that you can turn it and it doesn't affect what's happening. And somebody said to me, 'Well, just get a new volume knob,' And I said, 'That's the volume knob that this finger has been wrapped around for 27 years and I'm not getting a new one.' So we just shifted them around that's all.

BluesQuest.com: Did you shift the knobs or rewire them?

Walter: We just shifted the knobs. I mean this tone knob works fine. It'll go down over the pot and actually make it turn, but this volume knob is loose on there. It's about ready to fall off, and it has fallen off on numerous occasions. I'd be on a big stage and I'd be doing my thing and the knob would fly off and bounce across the stage.

BluesQuest.com: But you'd run after it to pick it up?

Walter: I wasn't letting anybody get it man! It came on the guitar when I bought it and this guitar has my spirit in it. I mean it was pure white when I bought it.

BluesQuest.com: What year is it?

Walter: It's a '73. It's one of the ones you're supposed to hate. That's what I love about it.

BluesQuest.com: A notorious post-CBS guitar.

Walter: Yeah, you know: a three-bolt neck and all the stuff that the non-players say you're supposed to hate. The real players realize that guitars are like people. You have to take them on their merit. You know there's some good '54s and there's some pretty crappy '54s. And there's some good post-CBS guitars and there's some pretty crappy post-CBS guitars. It depends on the guitar and it's own individual quality.

Tyrant said:
Walter does some amazing stuff. I found this at bluesquest. Seems hard to believe but here it is. Master at 4 or higher with R2 and tweed sounds sweet. The just on the verge of breakup sounds the best to me. But I don't own a strat either though. :D

that's actually a really good point... rolling off the volume knob will definitely give you a little more sag.. one of my favorite tones for what i think you're talking about is R2+EQ with the gain pretty high using the combination of neck/middle pickups on my strat, i usually disdain that pickup setting for most of my leads because i like a more punchy aggressive feel (neck or bridge), but there's one song we play where it's just creamy, dirty, saggy and absolutely perfect for the solo part

You have two gain controls. Running the gain high gives your more bass and you can adjust how much overall gain there is by using the drive control.

I don't know how you set your amp up but I run my bass close to '0' so a little bass for me is 0-4.

Good luck.

Greg

Try adjusting your guitar's tone control.. I've found a lot of times that maybe dropping the tone to 3 or 4 on the guitar and using the middle position (in a 3 way setup) will yield a spongy feeling.

Also use the tweed setting

Have you tried a high gain setting on channel3 with the volume knob on your guitar rolled back? Don't forget to turn up the master output. It's a whole different beast when you turn it up. I'm interested to hear what you think. Fiddle with R2 as well. Good Luck

Turning the master volume up on tweed, along with fiddling with the guitar controls did help a little. Thanks guys.

FYI - if you still can't find what you are looking for and want to try another amp, I'd recommend trying a Carvin Legacy. It's dirty channel is probably right between the R2 and Lead of the Mark IV, but it's much more open sounding. The overall voicing is in the same ballpark. To my ears both amps are dark and smooth/creamy.

Latest posts

Back