Mark IV needs a good solo boost...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I've used a Keeley DS-1 and now a fulltone OCD pedal and I am just not happy with either used as a boost with my Mark IV. The problem is that when used in front, they just 'add' to the tone and make the amp sound better overall but not louder, and when used in the loop (where it actually boosts the signal's volume) they just make it sound weird. It's hard to explain. I basically want a pedal to use as a boost for solos. The OCD sounds excellent in the clean channel in front of the amp, but doesn't really boost too well. It sounds like the Lead channel when used by istelf believe it or not!

What do you all recommend for a good boost for solos?

A clean boost in front of your amp (or any distortion pedal) is just gonna get you a more saturated feel. Like the other comments say, if you put a clean boost in the loop it should help, but personally I'd put an EQ in the loop and boost the mids a bit so that it cuts more and "sounds" louder. That said I don't change settings or boost any solos, I just change to a different pickup for a different tone, my main tone cuts well as it is, but also sits well in the mix and doesn't invade the other instruments territory.

My Keeley TS9 Baked mod boosts my lead a rhythm channels very well. It gives them more beef while at the same time kicking your signal a little. As I've discussed in an earlier thread though, it sounds best with Rhy2, but it also improves the lead channel. Vai uses a Keeley TS9 to boost his leads in the legacy, whilst he uses the DS-1 to thicken up his heavy rhythm work. It's little wonder he does, the Keeley TS9 really works well with a distorted channel, and it sounds great with the Mark IV.

Thanks for the responses! Honestly, I find it VERY hard to pay $200 for a pedal even if it is exactly what I am looking for. The EQ in the loop interests me the most coz it seems that I would be able to 'sculpt' my lead tone using it. How would an EQ in the loop behave with the gEQ on the MIV? Also, what are the better EQ pedals out there? Boss's GE-7 has been said to be a tone sucker. How does MXR's 6 or 10 band EQ sound?

I actually just finished building a BYOC Tribooster for use with several amps, one of them being a Mark IV. I've only used it with the Mark IV briefly (in front, not in the loop), but it sounded great. It gave the amp a more saturated/sustained gain, without imparting much of itself tonewise on the amp. The Tribooster is three boosts in one pedal (germanium, MosFET, and silicon), selected with a three position pot. It's awesome to be able to audition three different circuits instantly and pick the best one. You can read more on it here:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tri.html

Also, it sounds great with my '64 Tremolux. Good Luck! If you don't feel like building one, you can purchase prebuilt kits too.

MusicManJP6 said:
Thanks for the responses! Honestly, I find it VERY hard to pay $200 for a pedal even if it is exactly what I am looking for. The EQ in the loop interests me the most coz it seems that I would be able to 'sculpt' my lead tone using it. How would an EQ in the loop behave with the gEQ on the MIV? Also, what are the better EQ pedals out there? Boss's GE-7 has been said to be a tone sucker. How does MXR's 6 or 10 band EQ sound?

The Boss GE-7 isn't too much of a tone sucker to me, but it's sensitive. The $20 behringer EQ pedal is ok and a nice very very cheap alternative, but needs to be plugged into a power conditioner. The MXR 6 and 10 are ok, but I find MXR pedals to have a bit of excess noise in general, live they are great and you don't notice, but the studio brings out the worst in everything like that. If you have a nice store close to you, see if they'll let you take a few different eq's home to demo with your gear, or see if they mind if you bring your amp in to the store and demo them there.

I bought one of these in Copper. It's an Effin Beast. It replaced my Klon Centaur.

XTC-BBPRE-2.jpg

If you are not dead set on using your Mark IV's graphic eq for tone shaping, you could use it as a boost.
I use it for just that. I had to redial the other eq settings to reshape my tone, but it's perfect.

Flatten out the graphic eq and push each eq slider up to the first or second line above the middle line.

The eq on your footpedal is now a boost; and it's free. :wink:

Nah, I use the gEQ for my rhythm tone, otherwise that would be an option! I bought a 6 band MXR and I'll see how it works out for me. I read some reviews and they all said there was only already present noise being boosted, but they didn't think the pedal itself was inducing noise. If it doesn't work out, then i'll just plop it back on ebay!

MusicManJP6 said:
The EQ in the loop interests me the most coz it seems that I would be able to 'sculpt' my lead tone using it. How would an EQ in the loop behave with the gEQ on the MIV? Also, what are the better EQ pedals out there? Boss's GE-7 has been said to be a tone sucker. How does MXR's 6 or 10 band EQ sound?

I doing this exact thing right now. I have a GE-7 in the loop on the lead channel for my main rythm tone and I use the onboard eq for a solo boost with the sliders a touch above the mid-point and the middle one a bit above the rest.

It's been working like a charm and I haven't really noticed any tone suckage, plus I can shape the rythm tone a lot better with the Boss.

I like the Boss better than the MXR in a parallel loop, so the Boss works better for me on my other amp as well. But the MKIV is serial, so it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

MusicManJP6 said:
Nah, I use the gEQ for my rhythm tone, otherwise that would be an option! I bought a 6 band MXR and I'll see how it works out for me. I read some reviews and they all said there was only already present noise being boosted, but they didn't think the pedal itself was inducing noise. If it doesn't work out, then i'll just plop it back on ebay!

If you're not happy, try the 10 band version. The 6 band doesn't have the 6600 slider, but the 10 band does go that far.

Here's an idea: Use the GEQ on your amp to shape the rhythm tone, and when your switch to lead, turn it off, and turn on the loop with the MXR EQ, which you could set to shape a lead tone, plus boosting the overall level with the level slider that's on it. :D

I was hoping I could keep the GEQ on and just use the EQ pedal to boost the mids and get more cut and volume that way. Possible?!

Totally possible. That's what I was doing first when I got my GE-7. Just try different configurations and you'll find the one that works for you.

Awesome. I hope the EQ pedal is all I need to get a 'boost' like I need sometimes. I also found a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster that could be used as a boost as well. $50 shipped is what it was going for...

Well, the EQ came in today, and it is exactly what I needed! I am basically just boosting the mids, and it sounds spectacular! I recorded a bunch with it today and after I give it a final mix, I'll upload it for all to hear. I'm very happy with my purchase...

cant wait to hear it , im getting my mark 4 on weds...i already got a ibanez tubescreamer 808 just to make that baby scream! ill problly get the GE 7 as well soon enough.
how hard to install that pickup booster you think?

Back