Mark IV help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatmatt3568

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to the forum. I am almost positive that I am buying a Mark IV short head. But I won't have much money left over for an expensive cab. I am looking for a 4x12 around the $400 dollar or less range and I saw a Randall cab with celestion speakers. Would this be a good match for the head or is there something else out there thats better for the same price. Thanks for any replies.

For under $400 I would get a 1x12 Mesa Thiele new or a used one with an EV in it. Don't comprimise on the cab, it's very easy to make a really expensive and nice head sound like crap by running it through a cab/speakers that just don't match up with it. Don't be put off by a 1x12 either, they are plenty loud for the majority of gigs out there, and much nicer on your back. That way, you can wait til you have the money then get the big ol' 4x12 of your dreams (or you might just stick with the 1x12 :wink: ).
Another option is a Basson 1x12 or 2x12 cabs (the 2x12 will run just over $400). They sound amazing as well.

And Welcome :D

I would agree on the Thiele. They are portable, sound fantastic, have 200 watts of power, are very high quality, and hold their value. I love the sound of the Mark IV through a Thiele. If you can get one, do it. I doubt you would regret it.

I bought my mint EV Thiele for $ 230.00 and my Mesa standard slant 4X12 for $ 400.00 from the local GC. Also bought a 2555 Silver Jubilee full stack. $ 900 for the head and $ 900 for the matching cabs. Good deals are out there, but it's better to wait until you have the cash than suffer from dumping money into junk. Jon is dead on. A bad cabinet can kill a great amp.

I would say $1300-$1500 for it would be a good deal, $1700 seems a little high to me, but if it's in mint condition, good tubes, and you can get them to through in some goodies (cables, amp stand, etc..) it's not the highest one's sold for. Thats only about $560 under what it would be for a brand new head and thiele though.

You can always try to talk them down and haggle a bit.

It doesn't seem like its in mint condition and they said they can't bring down the price because its used. I have $1100 now. Should I just save up enough money for a new Mark IV and Thiele?

When it's that close to a new price, and it's not in mint condition, I would just save up a little more and buy a new one. Call around to your local GC's, sometimes they have them pop up and you can usually talk them down to a reasonably price. I just bought mine in better than new condition for $1100 and come to find out mine is easier to get in to the preamp tubes than most (removable front) and came with a nice fitted and padded bag for it as well. That's a lot of money to put into something, that chances are you're gonna have to put more money into, if it wasn't kept up internally, or if it's tubes aren't up to par.

Latest posts

Back